another question (sorry)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

another question (sorry)

Post by Mugs »

I have another question and will probably have a few more over the next few weeks...sorry :oops:

after discussing the black / beige interior with my wife, we might go for a wood facia on the centre console. I have found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390644340557? ... 1423.l2649
and just want to use the parts for the console. has anyone used this kit and is it any good?

also, where can get a chrome gear shift surround for an auto?

thanks in advance.
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: another question (sorry)

Post by gas guzzler »

I'm pretty sure this is what Z3d3b33 used in his car recently and to say he was less than impressed would be an understatement. It shrank and started peeling off quite soon after putting ot on. I'm sure he'll post soon to let you know if this was the one.

Andy
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
Z3b3d33

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Z3b3d33 »

Hello and yes unfortunately I do have this dash kit in red burlwood finish.
Mine was about £50 I think.
I bought it in Feb but when I opened it the instructions said not to fit it untill the temperature is above 19 degrees so that it could stick to the dash.
So I waited a couple of months for the weather to improve and grew a beard in the meantime.
The kit is just a couple of sheets of peel off stickers although the finish looked very good.
I cleaned the dash with the wipes provided and fitted it.
It looked great and fitted really well untill a fine sunny day came when it peeled up, curled up and shrank in the heat.
It had also bubbled up all over so the smooth wood appearance was gone.
The solid kits from what I have seen are much better but they cost.
Hope all goes well for you.

Rob
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

ok, thanks. i'll get a solid wood kit instead then.

antone know where I can get the chrome shift surround from?
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

antone know where I can get the chrome shift surround from?[/quote]

I'm sure lots of people have been looking for this and the phrase hens teeth comes to mind.

Good luck in finding one
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

ok then, i will try to see what i can knock up at work instead. thanks for the replies.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

If you can make one there maybe a few buyers on here that maybe interested
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

i'll see what I can come up with :wink:
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I saw a chrome shift surround the other day on ebay, think I was searching under bmw z3 accesories?

The company also did chrome surrounds for the air vents, the head unit and even the tweeter grills on the door cards. My Z is black with the factory fitted interior and exterior chrome packs options and I have just added a chrome rear no plate surround. I don't want chrome side gills as I think that will make the car look a bit 'essexy' but I am considering going to go for the gear shift and head unit surrounds... so if you buy them maybe can you let us know whether they are any good?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

Alan W wrote:I saw a chrome shift surround the other day on ebay, think I was searching under bmw z3 accesories?

The company also did chrome surrounds for the air vents, the head unit and even the tweeter grills on the door cards. My Z is black with the factory fitted interior and exterior chrome packs options and I have just added a chrome rear no plate surround. I don't want chrome side gills as I think that will make the car look a bit 'essexy' but I am considering going to go for the gear shift and head unit surrounds... so if you buy them maybe can you let us know whether they are any good?
was it a small chrome surround that just goes around the edge of the gear shift or does it cover the whole of the black plastic? just asking because I can't seem to find anything.