fuel tank bands - replacing

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

fuel tank bands - replacing

Post by pedro20001 »

hi all, looking underneath the zed the fuel tank bands look pretty rough, any one know how easy / difficult to replace them, thanks as always.!
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Re: fuel tank bands - replacing

Post by Kornknarr »

It´s not difficult. You just have to use a jack to keep the tank in position (with some padding) and then you can change one of the two bands at the time. The most important thing is to check that the insulation is in good shape, otherwise the bands can eat into the plastic tank with easily foreseeable consequences...

Parts no 7 and 8, 13 and 14 on this image: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=16&fg=05

You might also want to change the insulation at the carbon canister: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=16&fg=10

You'll have to find the right images for your car. I gave the links for my left hand MR.

Per
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

cheers mate, will do!
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

about fuel tank bands.

noticed my tank slightly leans on the car chassis

and so the only thing to do to avoid squeak and noises is to ticken the rubber grommets on the bands. BUT a single gromemt isn't enough to put the gas tank on the correct height.

What can I use to incerase that tickness? Because, as rubber grommets have done other times, all materials here tends to escape away after some periods...
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The suspension straps do not have any form of grommet - they use pieces of rubber, which are well worth buying before you start the job.

BMW do not fit enough of these rubber pieces - I used a whole set on my RH strap when I replaced it. They are supposed to be stuck ontothe starp, but as the adhesive cannot get 'into' the steel, they inevitabely fall off. I stuck mine to the fuel tank, after priming the plastic with coating of Evo-Stick impact adhesive, whi bites intothe platic of the tnak, and form a really good bond with the rubber pads.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!