Classic Insurance

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
fuzion

Z3 roadster 1.9

Classic Insurance

Post by fuzion »

'99 1.9 Zed is due for renewal and is now a second car and hardly driven. I thought I would check about classic insurance and remember seeing a few people mention they had gone down this route before using Adrian Flux.
They told me that it was rejected for classic insurance and quoted me waaaaay more than my renewal with current insurance (which is currently based on 10k per year) so I am thinking its because I am based in NI though they tell me its not.

Does anyone have classic insurance?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Classic Insurance

Post by Gazza »

Try RH Classics on 01277 206912
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

I found the 'classic' insurance companies expensive as well and there were some odd restrictions also, I ended up with LV...
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I have all three Mustangs in my Sig Pic insured agreed value for £395 total
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It depends on what sort of policy you want - a classic policy is likely to be restricted mileage - my frog is actually on a cherished car policy, guaranteed value, 3000 miles a year, 90 days in Europe, and I could even use it for commuting if I had a fixed place of work! I asked my broker for a quote for the zed, and he couldn't get anything close to what standard car insurance prices were coming out as - but then my zed is my daily driver and I need business usage on it, preferably with no restriction on mileage.

There are some real oddities in the classic insurance policies - one I looked at had a curfew on it - if the car was in the vicinity of its garage, it had to be put to bed by 10pm every night!!! :lol:

On the plus side cherished/classic policies are usually much more relaxed on mods. I can pretty much do anything I like to the frog and they will cover it. One insurer I tried recently for the zed turned me down because I had roll hoops retrofitted! I have just moved to General Accident and they are very much more mod friendly, and although they didn't have hardtop listed as a mod on the web (they did have the hoops), they were happy to cover the car after speaking to them - for almost £200 less than my renewal quote!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Try Peter James very reasonable I have the ///M and Harley with them
added the Sprite to ///M cover for an extra £15
I'm pleased :)
I believe all covered £565 per anum
I'm not in a insurance friendly area for some reason to near Croydon probably :head:
Although we never see any low life's
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

My cousins just got his 99 MCoupe insured for £200 with Adrian flux.
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
fuzion

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by fuzion »

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll keep looking around and keep you updated. This part of the world has always been awful for insurance.

Dave