Keys

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Keys

Post by Mugs »

Hi all, another quick question.... :dunce:

my 1997 1.9 auto only came with 1 key. i want to get another one cut but do i need one with a transponder?
my key is original BMW with the little LED light that comes on when the centre button is pressed. i also have the original alarm with the house brick remote.
do i need to buy a key with a transponder and then get it cut and programmed or is it just a simple key with a light in it?

also, my alarm hasn't worked from the housebrick since i bought the car although the remote red LED lights up when the buttons are pressed. does anyone know the location of the fuse for the alarm system or does the little key that silences the sounder also stop the alarm working from the remote?

thanks in advance.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Keys

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You need to get keys from a BMW dealer - you can't get them any other way.

Your alarm remote may need to be reprogrammed to the car - easy to do and there are lots of threads about it, eg:
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 0&p=361390
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The key has a chip in it that talks to the immobiliser, so you can't just get a blade cut and hope to start the car. Not sure what you need to order for the separate key - apart from the light it would be the same as what is referred to as a "grey service key".

Alarm sounds like it has lost sync, though you can never rule out previous owners butchering the thing.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Clivebse

M roadster S50

Post by Clivebse »

Hi, all z3's have the bmw EWS immobiliser system. That the chip in the key.
Yes you did only use to be able to buy them from bmw and there was only 10 chips available per a control unit. The module only has 10 slots and then you need a new one.
If you want to buy a cheaper key from the net etc this can be made to work but does mean you loose some of your security.
BMW key is safer but more money hassle. The dealer needs V5, photo ID, house bill and some even your inside leg measurement....
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Of interest regarding programming keys
My brother had a top end Z4 several years ago, on a visit to the stealer and chatting
He didn't realise that there were a lot more function that were on his ignition key
He went away smiling with several add-ons that were available to him allowing a lot of functions using his key
So its worth asking what does/can the key do?

I assume there dealer just does the Basic operations on the programming
Although i'm sure most of the dealers/salemen are not aware of the extra's and functions in the cars they sell
I'm always learning,
A simple one, I bet most people don't know if you hold the key on after locking, it closes the window
the dealer didn't know
You can check the mileage without the ignition on, just press the trip
It goes on and on, this amazing site often comes up with a gem, recently the intermittent wipers adjustment amazing
Just one more on my early Zed , I discovered if you pressed the button that illuminated the alarm in front of gear stick it disabled the censor when top was off, the salesman didn't know that
I'll now stop Phewwwwwwwwwwwww
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Boysie wrote:Of interest regarding programming keys
My brother had a top end Z4 several years ago, on a visit to the stealer and chatting
He didn't realise that there were a lot more function that were on his ignition key
He went away smiling with several add-ons that were available to him allowing a lot of functions using his key
On newer cars the car recognises which key is which and can do things like move the driver's seat to preset memory positions (eg, if you and your wife have a key each and have different seating positions), but the Z3 doesn't have any functions that can be linked to a particular key. Mainly because it doesn't have many functions!
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
Boysie wrote:Of interest regarding programming keys
On newer cars the car recognises which key is which and can do things like move the driver's seat to preset memory positions (eg, if you and your wife have a key each and have different seating positions), but the Z3 doesn't have any functions that can be linked to a particular key. Mainly because it doesn't have many functions!
Different seat positions :shock:
I'm the only ones who drives the ///M lol
Yes this is a fact on newer cars, but only on top end cars
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Boysie wrote: Yes this is a fact on newer cars, but only on top end cars
Well, I had a E46 coupe that you could do it on. I'd hardly call that top end!
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

thanks for the replies. I will go to BMW and get a spare. :D