Quick question re boot light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Quick question re boot light

Post by Alan W »

I didn't think that my Z had a boot light as it had never come on and it wasn't until yesterday when I was reaching in towards underside of the parcel shelf that I spotted the little blighter there inconspicuously fitted into underside of the felt boot trim.

The boot was open and the light wasn't on so l looked to see if there was a switch, either on the light housing itself or in the recess of the bootlid but to no avail.

So I popped out the fitting only to find that there was no bulb in it so will need to go and buy one next weekend.

But my question is, how is it turned on?

Does it come on with the sidelights, does it work via the interior light, or is there a switch somewhere that I'm just not seeing?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Quick question re boot light

Post by Jonco »

It's a switch - look at this for indication.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=63&fg=30

HTH
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Thanks for prompt reply but which of the components on the diagram are you saying is the switch?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The switch is built into the latch.
z3bedee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3bedee »

The boot light switch is in the boot lock itself. If you look at the left handside of the boot latch which is fastened to the rear panel you will see a prong which locates into the lock which is fitted to the boot lid and presses the switch when the boot is closed. Be carefull the bulb may have been removed for a reason. When I first got my Zed I had a problem with the battery going flat which I eventually traced to the boot light not shutting off. I think this is a common fault and the way I tested it was to set the video camera on my phone running, put it in the boot and close the lid thus filming whether the light goes off or not. Hope this helps but if you are still struggling I will post a photo when I get home.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Sorry Alan - you are right that diagram does not show it. This is another link but it is still not clear http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=41&fg=60

The switch on my '98 is actually incorporated into the boot lock. If you open the boot you should see a pin to the left side of static (lower) part of the lock. If you then look at the lock mechanism on the elevated boot lid you should see a hole into which the pin inserts when closed. This makes and breaks the switch. Bit difficult to explain but straightforward when you look at it. I have just inserted a piece of metal in the hole on mine and light goes on/off.

EDIT :z3beedee - beat me to it.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Also, be careful when you pull the light fitting out of it's recess - the wiring connectors have a tendency to short out against the metal of the boot. I blew a few fuses this way before installing a strategically placed bit of tape.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Fuse # 33 controls it's circuit as well as the interior lights...just incase you blow a fuse while investigating... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Be carefull the bulb may have been removed for a reason.
I was thinking exactly that, will speak to the previous owner to confirm
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

If the replacement bulb doesn't work and the fuse is OK then may be first sign of the wiring loom failing, the boot light was the first thing to go followed by the central locking on mine :?

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The bulb may also have been removed because the previous owner couldn't figure out where the switch was, assumed that the the light was staying on when it wasn't, and removed it. People often mistake the two spring loaded "openers/debouncers" as being the switch, and assume that they are broken when pressing them doesn't turn off the light. You can test the switch by operating the microswitch in the lock using something pointy poked into the hole, but the only way to be sure that the conical pin on the striker plate is actually operating the switch is to put a camera in the boot - either on self-timer or in video mode. It would be nice if there was an on/off switch like the interior light, as I sometimes leave the boot open when I am working on the car, but sadly is does not.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Thanks for all this info guys, will investigate further and get back to you
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

All sorted... found the switch - german over-engineering or what? Shame the same couldn't be said about the light fitting itself, very cheap and nasty and I wouldn't be surprised if the missing bulb had simply fell out of fitting and gone down somewhere behind the felt liner.

Put in new bulb and did the suggested video recording on phone and it all works as its supposed to.

Upgrading that light fitting has now been added to my list of winter jobs

Thanks for all your help and suggestions - what a team! :)
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Myself and my friend both had the same problem assuming incorrectly the light would go 'ON/OFF' with the interior light, the video sounds like an excellent test.
Thanks
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Make sure you use the correct wattage bulb
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Have a look on eBay -UK...you will find several options to the OEM fitting. I used this...it has two "directional" map lights to enhance the light in the boot...and 3 switches so you can control the light directly in the boot, or it will still shut off via the boot/lock switch:-
"Normal is overrated"

Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Southernboy wrote:Have a look on eBay -UK...you will find several options to the OEM fitting. I used this...it has two "directional" map lights to enhance the light in the boot...and 3 switches so you can control the light directly in the boot, or it will still shut off via the boot/lock switch:-
That's a great idea :cheers
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You will succeed if you search for "BMW INERIOR LIGHT"....These weren't fitted as boot lights... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Cheers thanks
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

but...hov is possible to think the boot has no light? in my Z3 prerest the light is in front of my face, when opening the booth. in your cars is in different positions? :)

last year I added a manual switch near the lamp to be able to switch on and off when I need to :D
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Is the interior light that Southernboy showed a direct replacement in the hole or does the hole have to be enlarged for it to fit? If a direct fit it seems a very quick and useful mod.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

As I recall, the hole in the carpet only needs changing... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

z3bedee wrote:The boot light switch is in the boot lock itself. If you look at the left handside of the boot latch which is fastened to the rear panel you will see a prong which locates into the lock which is fitted to the boot lid and presses the switch when the boot is closed. Be carefull the bulb may have been removed for a reason. When I first got my Zed I had a problem with the battery going flat which I eventually traced to the boot light not shutting off. I think this is a common fault and the way I tested it was to set the video camera on my phone running, put it in the boot and close the lid thus filming whether the light goes off or not. Hope this helps but if you are still struggling I will post a photo when I get home.
I think solution to your problem was replacing the switch.

I myself also found the light in the boot only after I bought new aftermarket boot light (without knowing that there already exists one) and was thinking where is the best place to attach it :D Replaced the switch, the bulb and everything was ok :) Now I replaced the bulb with leds.
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Thanks for the info about fitting an interior light in the boot. I think I'll go on ebay and give it a try.