Boot Light not working??

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
larrygroke

Z3 roadster 2.8

Boot Light not working??

Post by larrygroke »

Hi all have just realised that my boot light does not work have changed bulbs and still U/S i dont have a multi meter to test the connection but i assume its the switch that is faulty i see that its part of the boot catch anyone know the best way of tackling this?

thanks in advance :D :D
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Boot Light not working??

Post by resunoiz »

most common falut cause is NOT the switch, but the wires that goes between the boot lid and the car chassis. they flex everytime you close it, and start broke. check them first, you can prevent some shortcircuiting too ;)

I had same issue, NOT with the light but with the central locking of the lid..and found is a common cause that one of these wires brokes. problem not only of the zed :)

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... k-actuator
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

First check the fuse - the boot light is not brilliantly constructed and it is quite possible that it has shorted to the chassis blowing the fuse.

If it's not that, then the next suspect is the boot lid wiring loom - the switch is in the boot lock on the lid, so the wiring for the switch passes through the "loom of doom" between the boot lid and the chassis to go to the light - a break here would stop it working and if you have one break you probably have a few, so check third brake light, boot central locking etc.

Cheers R.

Edit: Beaten to it, but should add that we have a perfectly good article on fixing the loom of doom by our own Dave L2 here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=34807
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

Robert T wrote:First check the fuse - the boot light is not brilliantly constructed and it is quite possible that it has shorted to the chassis blowing the fuse.

If it's not that, then the next suspect is the boot lid wiring loom - the switch is in the boot lock on the lid, so the wiring for the switch passes through the "loom of doom" between the boot lid and the chassis to go to the light - a break here would stop it working and if you have one break you probably have a few, so check third brake light, boot central locking etc.

Cheers R.

Edit: Beaten to it, but should add that we have a perfectly good article on fixing the loom of doom by our own Dave L2 here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=34807
the same I said (in an horrible english :D ) a post before! I approve! :D
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

The boot light on mine was a forerunner to a failed wiring loom, took 2 years before the central locking joined in requiring a new loom :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
larrygroke

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by larrygroke »

Heck thankyou all will have a look in daylight tomorrow when i also do the footwell speaker upgrade :D