Classic Insurance - Who do you use?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Murf

M roadster S50

Classic Insurance - Who do you use?

Post by Murf »

Hi chaps

So looks like the Z3 will be on the road for at least another year, just passed it's MOT with no advisories :) Not bad for a car built in July 1998!

I've got a new daily driver coming this Friday so am either looking at either doing a multicar policy or have read that it's possible to use a classic insurance policy where your no claims are mirrored across. My miles in the Z3 are minimal, probably 2000 a year. Just wondered what you do (I assume for a lot of people now the Z3 is a 3rd car) and if you have a classic policy who do you use? Any recommendations welcome.

Cheers
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Classic Insurance - Who do you use?

Post by gas guzzler »

I have a 2.8 z3 which is my daily driver and I use Churchill, 7000miles limit cost £278, however I have a MX5 with a 3.5 V8 in it and use Classicline insurance, with a 3000 mile limit and they usually get me cover for under £200.

Andy
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Cheers for that, was thinking if I can get anywhere from £200 - £250 I'd be happy so I'll give them a go and see what they quote at. I'll try my current insurer for a multicar policy but from memory when trying to add an e39 a year or two ago they weren't competitive.
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

I've used a standard Churchill policy for my 2.2 Z3, 5000 miles limit which comes in at £192.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Try hagerty classic car insurance, they are very good on price and keep a guaranteed valuation.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Cheers, looks like I'm going to be busy tomorrow! I should be getting quotes from MSM, Classicline, Flux and now Hagerty 8-) Unfortunately my current insurer (Admiral) were way off the pace with a quote for the new car so a multicar policy is a no go.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Here you go, save you looking it up :D best to ring them instead of filling form on line.

http://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/About-Us/Contact-Us
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Worth reading this very recent thread http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=39336
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I use Peter James all the vehicles in my Signature
£500 all classic insurance and mines an ///M so a bit higher
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

wyn02

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by wyn02 »

I used Lancaster, cheapest quote I had from them was £130 to use under 2000 miles. since I only use at weekends its great for me.
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Cheers guys for all the help. MSM won't cover the M and the best price so far is from Hagerty (thanks Gill!). I'll try RH after reading the thread you linked to Gazza but I'm happy enough with the Hagerty quote if they aren't competitive.

Does not being a current member of a car club have much of a bearing on the price?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I get a discount on the Sprite for being a member of the AHC - can't remember if it is 5% or 10%. You may get a discount for being a member of the BMWCC, but not for being a member of a forum. You may or may not need to prove membership and it may only apply to certain types of policy.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Robert T wrote:I get a discount on the Sprite for being a member of the AHC - can't remember if it is 5% or 10%. You may get a discount for being a member of the BMWCC, but not for being a member of a forum. You may or may not need to prove membership and it may only apply to certain types of policy.

Cheers R.
I believe to get a classic policy cover, you have to be a member of a club
I'm always asked
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Got mine insured through Bewiser. Good price and very helpful,will be going back to them next May.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Kevinuk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kevinuk »

I gave a multi car policy on the back of my wife's car with Aviva(I am a named driver). They gave me full no claims as her policy had them and cost 200 quid for 3000 miles 2000 3.0. I thought that was pretty good. I am an old fart at 52 though :)
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

I used Classicline for my XK, but when it came to renewing they hike the price up a fair bit. And when I finally got my Z4 I decided to shop around and when I went to leave them and get my NCP proof they wanted to charge me £45 cancellation fee and wouldnt refund any of the 6 months remaining premium. What a rip off, ill never use them again.
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Thanks for all the replies - have had four quotes now (and one which said they don't offer a classic policy on a Z3) and all are within £50 of each other based on 3,000 miles so guess it's a combination of being young-ish, a nice rural post code and it being a Z3M that it's approx £250. Just waiting for a price from RH but looks like Hagerty are the most competitive so many thanks for the recommendation :)