Alarm playing up.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Alarm playing up.

Post by Davejue1 »

I've just got my Zed Back from the body shop and my alarm doesn't now appear to be working as it was when I dropped it off.
It's a 1998 and has the big separate fob. When I used to set it the indicators lit up and stayed on for the duration of the alarm sound setting. About 3 seconds. Now it just blips briefly.
Does anyone know if these can be reset or what the problem may be?
Thanks and a merry Christmas to all!
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Alarm playing up.

Post by Jonco »

Unfortunately not the best of days to be asking.
More info required. If it blips then the fob is communicating but is that all it does or is it actually centrally locking? What area have the body shop worked on?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

They may have disconnected the battery whilst working on the car. You can reprogram the alarm to recognize the fobs, but it involves removing the glovebox to get at the alarm module.

There is a good thread on here with info. Check the Knowledgebase or use advanced search and look for alarm threads by Komis.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Thanks for the replies guys. To answer jonco's questions it's had a full hit. It was showing its age so bit the bullet and had it done. Need to get my mitts on it now tho cos it was delivered back to me last night on a trailer and its filthy so needs a really good valet. The central locking is working off the fob. I'm inclined to agree with Robert about the battery being disconnected so I'll have a look at the thread and give that a go first.

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Davejue1 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. To answer jonco's questions it's had a full hit. It was showing its age so bit the bullet and had it done. Need to get my mitts on it now tho cos it was delivered back to me last night on a trailer and its filthy so needs a really good valet. The central locking is working off the fob. I'm inclined to agree with Robert about the battery being disconnected so I'll have a look at the thread and give that a go first.
Robert's post refers to reprogramming the remote if the car doesn't recognise it. From what you're saying the car recognises the fob and locks the car, so I'm a little uncertain what the problem is?

I have a '98 with the big alarm fob and mine flashes the indicators twice and beeps twice to set the alarm, then does one flash and one beep to unset. Are you getting something different happening?
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

On right, ye I'm sure it's recognising the fob. As it was when I set it I got one solid 3 seconds sound with indicaters lit and a double blip when unlocking again the indicators lit.
All I get now is a quick blip with indicaters lit when locking or unlocking. Don't know If the alarm is actually setting or not as yet as I haven't had time to go out and have a play with it, but it's definatley behaving differently now since it came back tho. I'll be going out to it on Boxing Day so hoping to rectify it then.

Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Davejue1 wrote:..........Don't know If the alarm is actually setting or not as yet as I haven't had time to go out and have a play with it, but it's definatley behaving differently now since it came back tho............
It sounds as as if you have the 3G EWS system with the EWS II transponder system which is the same as my `98 and Bladerunners ( I think). I have a copy of the Supplementary Handbook for this system and mine operates as per book but during separate problems with boot loom and transponder I experienced all sorts of different audible and visual indications.

The standard sequence on alarm set is - press red button - hazards flash twice and audible sounds twice - doors lock - dash LED (red) goes to steady state for ~35secs whilst it checks functions and if Ok the LED goes to flashing state. If the interior surveillance (acoustic sensor) is overridden the LED ges direct to flashing state on activationn. Suggest you check this is happening - if in doubt whether system is armed - try opening the door with the key and alarm/hazards should activate for 30 secs. Pressing the red or grey button should silence and reset. On de-activation hazards and alarm only operate once.
HTH
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Thanks for that jonco. Sounds like a simple test to check things are working. I've gone out the the car this morning to find the battery flat so I've put it on trickle charge so its obviously gone flat while stood at the bodyshop. I'll see what happens when it's finished charging.

t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Low battery voltage can also cause strange things to happen re alarm setting and if battery has been dead flat could also have caused system to go to default factory settings?
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

t-tony wrote:Low battery voltage can also cause strange things to happen re alarm setting and if battery has been dead flat could also have caused system to go to default factory settings?
Agreed - I have noticed that when the alarm battery has drained, i.e during main battery disconnection for maintenance, it will take a while after re-connection for alarms to operate correctly again.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I've just taken the Zed off charge and tried the alarm. I have done the exact sequence suggested by jonco and it appears to be working properly except I have lost the 3 Or so second sound when setting the alarm. Everything else inc the red led is working as before.

Thanks for all your advise guys

Dave

bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Any piccies of the zed wearing it's new livery?

Regards BB