Key options

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Key options

Post by Alan W »

Hi, my Z3 has these type of keys

The detail on the buttons has nearly worn away and they feel 'sticky' and I am guessing that this is pretty common.

Just want to know what my options are, is it a whole new key or can you just change the buttons / black cover? (and if so is this difficult?)

Thanks in advance

Alan
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Key options

Post by Robert T »

A few people on here have bought replacement cases on ebay quite cheaply. All the electronics and blade swap over to the new case.

Have a search if you want more details.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Stormy_be

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Stormy_be »

Sorry to barge in on the subject, but...

I one have 1 key.
Have seen the cases on ebay and others, but what are the options when you need it all?
Can the electronics be found somewhere?
I know it is possible to find blank keys.

What are the electronics for? only the remote? or is there also some sort of immobilizer that needs it?

I don't want to get stranded somewhere with a flat battery in my only remote not being able to start it anymore.

Regards, Koen
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Koen, this has been covered lots of times on here before, and you can see the battery changing procedure in the Knowledgebase.

Essentially there are three separate systems to the keys:

1) The physical key blade which operates the locks, including the ignition barrel - a replacement can be cut anywhere
2) The immobiliser chip - this does not need a battery and is read inductively by a loop in the ignition barrel - only available from BMW and a limit of 8 per car
3) The remote control - either built into the key or on a separate fob - battery operated - the fob type is fairly easy to buy, but not the type that is built into the key

If the battery goes flat, then there are two different procedures depending upon which remote you have. With the early separate fob type, there is a small round key to turn off the siren - the indicators may continue to flash but the car can be driven. With the later integrated type the immobiliser chip can be used to disarm the alarm - simply unlock the car with the key, alarm will sound, put key in ignition, turn to position II, alarm will be disarmed just as if you had used the remote.

The cheapest replacement key is what is known as a "grey service key" - this is a fully functional key with immobiliser chip, but no remote control. At the time of the last person on here buying one, they were about £60.

Cheers R.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Just typed "Z3 key" into eBay and this was 3rd down on the list...

eBay Key buttons

How hard can it be? :head:

:D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Stormy_be

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Stormy_be »

Robert T wrote:Koen, this has been covered lots of times on here before, and you can see the battery changing procedure in the Knowledgebase.

Essentially there are three separate systems to the keys:

1) The physical key blade which operates the locks, including the ignition barrel - a replacement can be cut anywhere
2) The immobiliser chip - this does not need a battery and is read inductively by a loop in the ignition barrel - only available from BMW and a limit of 8 per car
3) The remote control - either built into the key or on a separate fob - battery operated - the fob type is fairly easy to buy, but not the type that is built into the key

If the battery goes flat, then there are two different procedures depending upon which remote you have. With the early separate fob type, there is a small round key to turn off the siren - the indicators may continue to flash but the car can be driven. With the later integrated type the immobiliser chip can be used to disarm the alarm - simply unlock the car with the key, alarm will sound, put key in ignition, turn to position II, alarm will be disarmed just as if you had used the remote.

The cheapest replacement key is what is known as a "grey service key" - this is a fully functional key with immobiliser chip, but no remote control. At the time of the last person on here buying one, they were about £60.

Cheers R.
Thought so about the 3 functions.

Where do you get the "grey serivce key" from? BMW Stealer?? for only 60£? (the doors of the showroom don't open for that price)
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Just typed "Z3 key" into eBay and this was 3rd down on the list...

eBay Key buttons

How hard can it be?
Thanks for this, just ordered myself a couple of these.. as the worlds clumsiest ham-fisted z3 owner can anyone give me a heads up on how to fit?
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

There is a nice man on youtube who has posted a video of how to replace the rubber button pad on these keys. And you are right it's easy.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Service key details here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17378

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

There is a nice man on youtube who has posted a video of how to replace the rubber button pad on these keys. And you are right it's easy.
Fitted those snide replacement buttons off ebay and as you said, follow the mans instructions on youtube and you cant go wrong, just make sure you memerise the way the little chip faces as it will drop out.

No more sticky gungey buttons, job done in about 10 mins

Nice one - thank you
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

No problem Alan, that's what a forum is all about. Glad it helped. Cheers, Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"