BMW parts

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Phil

M roadster S54

BMW parts

Post by Phil »

I read lots of requests on here for parts of all descriptions and see the prices people pay for, what they think are difficult to find bits.
I just wonder if you have ever considered going to your BMW dealer and enquiring about the part you want.
I wanted a piece of trim for the interior mirror for my M.

04 Set of end caps 1 51168194789 $1.67

Went to my local Sytner at Solihull and they checked the part number and informed me that the part would be delivered within 4 hours. Cost £3.79 including Vat.
Took me by surprise on the delivery time and the fact that the part was so readily available.
I could have searched high and low and found a used part and had it posted to me etc etc.

I'm not saying that this happens every time and the parts might be more expensive but its surely worth a try.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: BMW parts

Post by Davejue1 »

I had a similar thing when I was trying to find a matching tan leather gear gaiter for my Zed. Could find them easily. (Sadbay etc) but weren't the right colour and cheap if only just leather!!
I phoned my local BMW dealer who said there wasn't one in the country but could have it here within 48 hours and would drop it at my house foc! £50 later and brilliant service!! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I always start with RealOEM to find the part number,
then go to the Coopers website to get the price,
then try the local dealer for price (w/ discount) and availablity.

If it looks too expensive, I'll then do a deeper internet check to find the original manufacturer and part number. Then find a price and availability for that.

For example, Rear top mounts for a Z3...

RealOEM - part number for mount = 33521137972, part number for gasket = 33526772864
Coopers Price for mount = £33.90 each
Coopers Price for gasket = £1.20
Coopers prices incl VAT and as both rear mounts need to be replaced, the total price to better is £70.20.

Sytner (Nottm) will give me 10% discount and the parts are available in the UK, so I could have them within a few days. New price to beat is £63.18.

Google the BMW part number on the shopping page Google Search Results
Cheapest top mount is £7.72 delivered. The quality of the part is unknown as it is Ebay. Others are available at around the £15 mark.
The original manufacturer appears to be Sachs.

Googling "sachs suspension parts" gives the following results Search Results
Sachs is now part of ZF.
Using the Webcat system on the ZF website, the part number for the Mount and the Gasket is a LEMFORDER part number 31086 01

Googling "31086 01" (in quotes) gives the following Search Results
There is a British company on the list (BestPartStore), and they have a UK phone number.
The linked page is for the Lemforder part link
The price for the original parts delivered is £36.41.

The choices are...

Full BMW price = £70.20
Discounted BMW price = £63.18
Ebay sourced price = £15.54 + two gaskets from BMW = £17.84
Original parts from original manufacturer = £36.41
Pingu
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

pingu wrote:I always start with RealOEM to find the part number,

If it looks too expensive, I'll then do a deeper internet check to find the original manufacturer and part number. Then find a price and availability for that.

RealOEM - part number for mount = <a href="tel:33521137972">33521137972</a>, part number for gasket = <a href="tel:33526772864">33526772864</a>
Coopers prices incl VAT and as both rear mounts need to be replaced, the total price to better is £70.20.

Sytner (Nottm) will give me 10% discount and the parts are available in the UK, so I could have them within a few days. New price to beat is £63.18.

Cheapest top mount is £7.72 delivered. The quality of the part is unknown as it is Ebay. Others are available at around the £15 mark.

Sachs is now part of ZF.
Using the Webcat system on the ZF website, the part number for the Mount and the Gasket is a LEMFORDER part number 31086 01

There is a British company on the list (BestPartStore), and they have a UK phone number.

The choices are...

Full BMW price = £70.20
Good write up Pingu, I also use bmminiparts.co.uk, they supply OEM parts at a lower cost also, main down side is you usually have to wait an extra day or two.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Brian H wrote:...I also use bmminiparts.co.uk, they supply OEM parts at a lower cost also, main down side is you usually have to wait an extra day or two.
There are many places that sell the parts (or copies of them). I wouldn't limit myself to any one of them. I use the internet to source the best value for money. In the example, I paid £36. It's not always the cheapest that gives the best VFM for you ;).
Pingu
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Brian H wrote:
pingu wrote:I always start with RealOEM to find the part number,

RealOEM - part number for mount = <a href="tel:33521137972">33521137972</a>, part number for gasket = <a href="tel:33526772864">33526772864</a>

Sachs is now part of ZF.

The choices are...

Full BMW price = £70.20
Great write up Just ordered my top mounts using the above links as you say £36.41 and you get the gasket as well. :bow