Taxing car after SORN

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Taxing car after SORN

Post by Alan W »

I was intending keeping my car SORN'ed until April 1st but now want to put it back on the road commencing 1st March

However, just went on-line to buy the tax and even though there are only 5 days left of February it will only let me buy a disc commencing 1st Feb?

I mean, come on.. are they worried that I might use the car for between now and the beginning of March or something?

Tried to find out more on the website but no joy, can anyone please confirm if I want the disc to start on the 1st of March do I have to do it on that day and not one minute before?

Alan
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Taxing car after SORN

Post by Davejue1 »

I taxed my everyday car from the beginning of feb and it allowed me to do it 3 days before, but the car wasn't on SORN so I don't know if they treat it differently, I can't see a valid reason as to why they would. Try again on Tuesday. Would you be so kind to post how you got on when you've sorted it as I'm wanting to take mine off SORN FROM April 1st. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
PFL969

M roadster S50

Post by PFL969 »

I actually phoned them (DVLA) up and they were really helpful. The car was SORN and I got it MOTd to get it back on the road. In order to get the road tax you need amongst other things the log book which was missing. So I just called them up and explained the situation and paid for the tax over the phone....worth calling them methinks?
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

PFL969 wrote:I actually phoned them (DVLA) up and they were really helpful. The car was SORN and I got it MOTd to get it back on the road. In order to get the road tax you need amongst other things the log book which was missing. So I just called them up and explained the situation and paid for the tax over the phone....worth calling them methinks?

You're lucky, whenever I ring them I just get the automated response with the final line being "check the website, thanks for your call. Goodbye :head: "
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

There will be no problem at the Post Office. They can issue from 15th of previous month.
Pingu
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

pingu wrote:There will be no problem at the Post Office. They can issue from 15th of previous month.
That is true if the car is already taxed, but I believe that the rules are different if it is on a sorn - otherwise you could go to the Post Office on the 15th Feb, tax a sorn car from 1st March and drive around for half of Feb displaying a valid tax disc but not having paid the tax for those two weeks.
PFL969

M roadster S50

Post by PFL969 »

@ (" ") the machine is clearly saying "no" to you :lol:
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

If you go as normal it will say tax from 01/02/14. Click next and it will offer you the option of taxing from 01/03/14. Carry on as normal from there. :)

Cheers
Dave

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
pingu wrote:There will be no problem at the Post Office. They can issue from 15th of previous month.
That is true if the car is already taxed, but I believe that the rules are different if it is on a sorn - otherwise you could go to the Post Office on the 15th Feb, tax a sorn car from 1st March and drive around for half of Feb displaying a valid tax disc but not having paid the tax for those two weeks.
I don't know about the SORN rule at the PO, but it makes sense.

Either way,the disc wouldn't be valid. A 6 month disc that expires on 31 Aug doesn't start before 1 March. Granted, if nobody noticed it was only a 6 monther you could get away with it, but none of the authorities read the disc with Mk1 eyeballs. They either ANPR the number plate or read the barcode on the disc.
Pingu
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I don't think he's trying to fiddle the system just didn't want to lose 3 weeks by paying now for something that started at the beginning of feb. :)

Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zee3 »

Alan W wrote:I was intending keeping my car SORN'ed until April 1st but now want to put it back on the road commencing 1st March

However, just went on-line to buy the tax and even though there are only 5 days left of February it will only let me buy a disc commencing 1st Feb?

I mean, come on.. are they worried that I might use the car for between now and the beginning of March or something?

Tried to find out more on the website but no joy, can anyone please confirm if I want the disc to start on the 1st of March do I have to do it on that day and not one minute before?

Alan

After a SORN, there is no way around it. It's either loose a month if you do it now, or wait until the 1st of the month. Best way will be go to the post office and get th disc, that way they can't nick you for failure to display while its on it's way using on line.
Zee 3.......But now have a Zee 4
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

If you go as normal it will say tax from 01/02/14. Click next and it will offer you the option of taxing from 01/03/14. Carry on as normal from there
Can confirm this 100% (thanks Davejue1 :)) I went on line and at the last stage it asked me if I wanted the tax to run from 1st Feb or 1st Mar and I just clicked on the latter and all went ahead and I paid. Hopefully the tax disc will get here before Saturday!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Alan W wrote:Hopefully the tax disc will get here before Saturday!
It doesn't matter if it doesn't. Just make sure you print off the page. It tells you on the website how long you have before you MUST display. I think it's 15 days.

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPo ... #question9

Wrong. 14 days.
Pingu
PFL969

M roadster S50

Post by PFL969 »

+1 regarding it not mattering , I think it might even be 16 days?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Be aware you can still get a fine for failure to display, it may help if you keep the online confirmation on display whilst parked.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

I taxed my car last year after it being on SORN & there was a short period of a few days where my car was actually taxed online, but I hadn't received my tax disc.
I have a friend who is a traffic policeman, so I asked him how I stood regarding using the car before the disc arrived. He advised me to print off the confirmation & to just carry that in the car in case I was stopped. He said that it would be proof enough that the car was taxed & the coppers wouldn't be bothered enough to fine someone for failure to display, when the car was obviously legal.
I did that, but didn't get stopped, & the tax disc arrived very quickly anyway.
Just print the confirmation & use the car!
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Can confirm that there is a very minor offence of not displaying a VEL and another offence displaying it in the correct location (ie bottom left side of widscreen) and agree that if you carry the receipt and explained, if pulled, the reason without getting shirty it would be very unlikely that the boys in blue would give you a ticket. I would be happy to drive if I had paid the duty.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

pingu wrote:
BladeRunner919 wrote:
I don't know about the SORN rule at the PO, but it makes sense.

Either way,the disc wouldn't be valid. A 6 month disc that expires on 31 Aug doesn't start before 1 March. Granted, if nobody noticed it was only a 6 monther you could get away with it, but none of the authorities read the disc with Mk1 eyeballs. They either ANPR the number plate or read the barcode on the disc.
I go to the post office every year as I sorn my car. I go a few days before the end of the month and there is no problems as long as you take all the documents plus the payment. :D
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Fender2004 wrote:I go to the post office every year as I sorn my car. I go a few days before the end of the month and there is no problems as long as you take all the documents plus the payment. :D
I do the same - never had a problem. :)
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Tax disc soon obsolete anyway, so we won't have this issue in the future. Everything is online, road tax, insurance and m.o.t so there is no need to display.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

That's the way is in Spain, your suma (road tax) automatically comes out of your bank account every April.
When you buy or sell a car you have to have the paperwork changed into the buyers/sellers name and give your bank details. Saves a lot of hassle all round!