Manual hood strut?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Manual hood strut?

Post by GE45TON »

Hi all

I have a suspicion that some of the manual roof cars have a gas strut fitted to the hood mechanism that assists (slightly) the raising and lowering of the hood, my car hasn't but there seems to be a part listed on RealOEM.

Part No 32
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=54&fg=10

I could easily be completely wrong but has anybody seen this fitted on a Z?

cheers
Keith
littlefeller

blank

Re: Manual hood strut?

Post by littlefeller »

yes I have one fitted, always thought they all did :? its more like a damper. I can take pics if you like.
there is another thread (couple of days old) where another member is converting to a power hood, he didn't have a strut either, someone pointed out that earlier z didn't have one.
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

Thanks a photo would be great when you get the time, thought it may have been because I have an early car. Would you think its worth fitting one?
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

to be honest I cant really see as it makes much difference, but there again it wouldn't have been fitted for nothing. I don't think you can fit them to the earlier z as the roof is different. I don't really see what it is for, the only area it could help is when opening, it must dampen it to some degree. maybe it helps protect the rear screen or something like that.
the only other reason it could have been fitted was to enable bmw to use the same roof as the power hood, suppose this is the most likely reason
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

littlefeller wrote: I don't think you can fit them to the earlier z as the roof is different.
the only other reason it could have been fitted was to enable bmw to use the same roof as the power hood, suppose this is the most likely reason
yes that's true, I suppose that the hood on the later cars is heavier as it has a headlining, it would standardise the brackets and fittings for the power roof cars too. Thanks anyway, I'll get the WD40 out instead.

cheers
Keith
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I don't think it has anything to do with standardisation - they could have just left the strut off, in the same way that they used a standard wiring loom and just used the connectors that were needed. Plus, my car is pre-roof lining, but still has the strut.

The strut is supposed to assist with lifting the roof. I have one, but it's in two pieces so doesn't do anything, and the roof is fine. I can't say how much difference it would make if if was attached, of course.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I can't see anything on RealOEM or BMWFans that implies that the strut was not fitted to the early cars, and by early this will mean pre-1997 when some other changes for rollhoops preparations etc came in, not the April 1999 facelift. The gas strut is similar to the type used on the boot lid and aids with raising the roof and should also make lowering it somewhat more gentle.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

Are they only fitted to the facelift cars or do some of the later pre-facelift cars have them fitted too?
My car is an early 97.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

My '98 has one.
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

I'd be interested to see one in action and what difference it makes, I might try and get along to the Duxford or the Newark gathering and have a look there.
Don't suppose someone can post a photo if you get chance?

cheers
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

will take a picy Friday. :)