Hardtop "fitting kit"

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Hardtop "fitting kit"

Post by lightning »

What is the "fitting kit"?

I have taken the hardtop off my Z3 and put it on ebay, and am being asked if it has the "fitting kit"
Is this part of the car that l will need to remove and give to the buyer?
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Hardtop "fitting kit"

Post by ('_')Z3 »

If you click on the the links at the top of this post

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... it#p376180

Each side is held in place by a couple of bolts, depending on what you're selling the hardtop for depends on whether kit is included I guess. On their own circa £250 plus hardtop at £500. £700-£750ish depending on condition time of year etc.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Thanks for the information.

I am not sure what to do about the fitting kit, I guess I may as well remove it and sell it. As I will never use the hardtop. I sold the hardtop from my MX5 and my Lotus Elise and never missed them.

I will often put the hood down in Winter if I go out in the car. In fact it's only up if it rains!
Also I've nowhere to store the hardtop, it's in the garage with the car but I can only just fit both in, and have to squeeze past the hardtop propped up against the wall.

If I remove the fitting kit, is there anything that goes in place of it (plastic covers etc) or do I just leave it. I don't want to remove it, and then not be able to get any plastic covers that go on instead etc.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

What replaces it is not actually plastic but a grey moulded foam with a plastic part attached to it which covers the 'hole' it locates on the car so is a bit more complicated than it sounds. When I fitted my hardtop kit it was a bugger to remove them without tearing the foam from the plastic :head:
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

That's what l needed to know.

I will see if it is still available from BMW, most parts seem to be. If not l will leave the fitting kit in place and just sell the hardtop.
The fitting kits are available online so anybody wanting to fit my hardtop could just buy a kit from elsewhere.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

lightning wrote:That's what l needed to know.

I will see if it is still available from BMW, most parts seem to be. If not l will leave the fitting kit in place and just sell the hardtop.
The fitting kits are available online so anybody wanting to fit my hardtop could just buy a kit from elsewhere.
You'll find it much more saleable with the kit - they aren't that readily available. If you think that only cars with a hardtop had the kit, there aren't going to be more hardtops than kits and, if you keep yours fitted, that's another one out of circulation.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

I suppose you could part ex the trim you need if someone is coming round to collect the roof. That's what I did :D knock £20 off the roof and kit if you get their foamy bits.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Good idea!
I will try that.

I went to the BMW dealer but they couldn't find the plastic/foam parts (fitted when there is no hardtop kit on the car)

Can anybody tell me what the part numbers are? As they may still be available.