Oil change/service

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Oil change/service

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi all, I've had my Zed just a year now and I had it serviced when I bought it. I've only covered 1500 miles in him since then and still have 4 green lights up on the service indicator. Checking the oil this morning it's still very clean so the question was, is it worth getting it serviced or even the oil changed with it having done so little?
Your thoughts would be very welcome! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Oil change/service

Post by t-tony »

I always change the oil and filter once a year Dave, but if you garage your car over the winter as I have up to this year (not sure about this year yet) I would change it in the spring before you hit the road again. Logic is that over the winter I get car out and run it to warm it through to keep the exhaust dried out and even these will contaminate the oil slightly so I give her new oil for the summer.

Cheers, Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I would echo the above.

An oil/filter change annually, regardless of mileage. The other service items can be extended if you are not doing much mileage.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The idea is to change the oil when necessary - do not change it too early or too late simply to obey the Service Indicator lights and/or spend money. If the oil is clean, don't bother - your 1500 miles must have been on runs of reasonable length. It will not do any harm to leave it in the engine for another 5000 miles or until the end of the summer - but give the car some decent use until then - it's for driving - not for posing and polishing!

The very worst thing you can do is not to use the car during the winter, and then periodically start the engine to see if everything is OK - it will not be Ok for long, as such treatment produces a lot of moisture and acids in the engine oil and the exhaust system, causing long-term corrosion damage and contaminating the oil.

This type of treatment is usually given by owners who think they are doing something sensible - such as T-Tony's idea of 'run it to warm it through to keep the exhaust dried out' which will do more harm than good. It takes about twenty miles to get the exhaust system hot enough for long enough to dry it out - and even then the catalytic converter is busily producing water which is passed into the rear silencer!

If the car has had a decent amount of use before the winter, change the oil(s),oil filter, coolant etc and put the battery on an automatic charger, then forget the car if you are not going to drive it.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Bought my '98 2.8 just over 2 years ago with 61k miles and it had just been fully serviced, inc gearbox and diff oil change.
Just checked engine oil again this morning and still hasn't used a drop and still clean. (Mileage now just 65k)
Will change it within next few months just to be on the safe side! (False economy not to for the sake of 50 euros!!)
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I don't use the Z3 between March and November and once put away and hooked up to a battery conditioner its just left and not started until its due to be used again on a daily basis, I would agree starting a layed up car thinking it will do it good is probably not the best thing to do. I get the fluids changed every 2 years, i.e. brake, coolant and oil regardless as I reckon 2 years is about right whether doing a minimal or average mileage. Modern fluids are just that, modern so I think changing the oil every year is unecessary. I've only changed the diff oil once and the gearbox oil I doubt has ever been changed so may get this done next year, its still lovely and smooth with no notchiness but I reckon its about time its changed for the next 13 years :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Mike Fishwick wrote:The idea is to change the oil when necessary - do not change it too early or too late simply to obey the Service Indicator lights and/or spend money. If the oil is clean, don't bother - your 1500 miles must have been on runs of reasonable length. It will not do any harm to leave it in the engine for another 5000 miles or until the end of the summer - but give the car some decent use until then - it's for driving - not for posing and polishing!

The very worst thing you can do is not to use the car during the winter, and then periodically start the engine to see if everything is OK - it will not be Ok for long, as such treatment produces a lot of moisture and acids in the engine oil and the exhaust system, causing long-term corrosion damage and contaminating the oil.

This type of treatment is usually given by owners who think they are doing something sensible - such as T-Tony's idea of 'run it to warm it through to keep the exhaust dried out' which will do more harm than good. It takes about twenty miles to get the exhaust system hot enough for long enough to dry it out - and even then the catalytic converter is busily producing water which is passed into the rear silencer!

If the car has had a decent amount of use before the winter, change the oil(s),oil filter, coolant etc and put the battery on an automatic charger, then forget the car if you are not going to drive it.
Did you really read my post Mike. I don't disagree with what you comment on but I did say I run my car till it doesn't emit any steam from the exhaust which in my opinion, based on 40 years in the motor trade, tells me it is dry gas coming out the back. Also not every one can afford to run their car for a full year along side a "family" motor. 20 miles to get it dry is stretching it a bit mate.

Cheers, Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Thanks for the replies, I am going to re-tax at the end of August but I'll surrender it back at the end of October cos I don't like to run it when our wonderful council start throwing the salt about. I shall get an oil and filter done just before taking it off the road for winter. :)
Note to Mike, I'd love to still be able to pose but I think at 42 with glasses, grey hair and a bit of a truckers belly now days it may not be a good look! :D

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"