Ageing Buzz Topz

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bentley-boy

blank

Ageing Buzz Topz

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi All, A bit of feedback required on the old 'buzz top' thread. I recommended one to a friend about 8 months ago. It appears apart from bleaching out totally to almost white the underside band around the magnetic strip is breaking down, degrading if you like, which is leaving a black ring on the paintwork. . . . a bit like a tide mark around a bath. She contacted the makers who apparently were very rude (her words) and told her it was only for use in the rain and not to be left on the car otherwise. Anyone else experienced degradation in any form? She is taking them to county court. She does I have to say leave the car outside inactive for longish periods, but then that is why she bought the cover to keep cats from furring up the hood and keeping sunlight out. Perhaps leaving it on without moving it for extended periods is not a good idea however.
Everyone else happy with theirs?

Regards to all BB
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Ageing Buzz Topz

Post by seasurfer »

The problems i had was with it leaving marks on the paintwork which were horrendous and that was only overnight. I got shot down for saying so last year on here by the company and ive heard of quite a few dis-satisified customers since. Its a shame because the shape and material of the cover looks very good quality. Hope your friend has the outcome she deserves.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I only used mine during wet periods and found that the material did go rather stiff over time, it started to fade slightly and after heavy rain there would be some slight leak along the seam that runs just above the windscreen.
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

seasurfer wrote:The problems i had was with it leaving marks on the paintwork which were horrendous and that was only overnight. I got shot down for saying so last year on here by the company and ive heard of quite a few dis-satisified customers since. Its a shame because the shape and material of the cover looks very good quality. Hope your friend has the outcome she deserves.
Yes it does fit well but I had the same paint marks too, and I only use it in the winter. What I've done is cut the magnetic strip off so the cover ends at the body line, I retained the door mirror hoops but now I tuck the front of the cover under the wipers and the rear is held down with a long bungee cord, works very well..

Keith
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

I remember people suffering marking to the paint, in this instance the tape appears to be breaking down leaving a black ring together with the cover fading to almost white. Was just wondering if other members covers are beginning to break down with age? New they certainly looked well made - but do they last? The makers were less than interested it appears.

BB
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Never used mine and threw it in the bin where it belonged.

A good idea poorly executed.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

What's a "Buzz Top" ?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

lightning wrote:What's a "Buzz Top" ?
It's just a protective cover for the soft top when the cars not in use, useful if you park under trees :)

I was completely put off using mine after the paint damage suffered by others.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

what about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1390086716

It looks pretty much the same but much more expensive?
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

It looks like a good product.

The only way to know for sure is to try one.
drm

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by drm »

I use this one

http://www.classicadditions.com/car-cov ... -half.html

It doesn't use magnetic strips

I have found it fine so far - had it about a year
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »