coil spring fitment info

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

coil spring fitment info

Post by Mugs »

i thought i would post this in case anyone is thinking of swapping suspension coil springs for those from a different year / model.
i have a 1997 1.9 and recently i bought a set of facelift lowered coilsprings that were from a 3facelift 3.0l. i got them for such a good price i thought i would give them a try and see if they fit.
i fitted them today and they fitted perfectly and have lowered the car so it now sits level as opposed to rear end high as it sat when on standard springs.
so it seems the springs for pre-face / facelift and any engine size are the same. :D
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: coil spring fitment info

Post by gookah »

what about the spring rate though to account for different weights and capabilities of the engines?
I think from the larger engine to smaller would not be an issue, but maybe the other way round might be a problem. :puzzle:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: coil spring fitment info

Post by Mugs »

well, i thought about that but if the rates were higher on the 3ltr springs they wouldn't compress as much so they would sit higher?
as it is, the car sits level.
to be honest, i think aftermarket springs are made to a budget so i don't think the rates come into play - i think they make 1 rate across the range.
i think genuine BMW springs may have different rates but i'm not sure.
it seems to handle well so i'm happy :D