New to forum and new Z3 owner

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3Pete

Z3 roadster 1.9

New to forum and new Z3 owner

Post by Z3Pete »

Hi all,

I did search before posting and so I hope not to have missed a similar post...

New to the forum, BMW, Z3's and been driving Diesels for the last 16 years! Brought a 97 1.9 auto on a bit of an impulse. She looks well, body wise, and 60k on the clock. Leather, two tone, classic blue colour and has electric seats / hood. I hope / plan to maintain her myself (mostly) although I have limited experience (I know, but I like a challenge).

I wondered if there are any local West Yorkshire (Ilkley) members / owners or events in which I could benefit from the advice of more experienced owners? I have spent a number of hours reading the forums Z3 specific posts, and these are very insightful, but I don't even know what she 'should' sound like and a convertible certainly lets you hear more than I'm used to (idle sounds a bit 'lumpy' to me and there seems to be a bit of a whirr'ing sound)!

I have been to a local BMW garage but I wasn't convinced they knew much more that I did! This said, I'm not having a 'cheap pop', they mainly deal with nearly new cars, and no matter how beautiful she may still look (to me), she's 17 years old!

All advice / info greatly received, many thanks

Peter
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: New to forum and new Z3 owner

Post by akirk »

Welcome...
Have a look at some of the meet-ups listed on here, lots of folks to meet and a day out!
Also - worth finding a good independent mechanic, even if you are doing bits yourself... My mechanic is highliy skilled and has maintained my cars for 12+ years - he has such a great depth of knowledge generally on cars (and builds v8 stock cars as a hobby) very worthwhile having someone for peace of mind...

Alasdair
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

"BOUGHT"!!!!!!!!!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hello from me too! Meets arn't generally done by area as such, more of what suits who really, if you prefer a cruise or a static meet, or combining a meet with other things such as planes, which seems to be popular amunsgt the troops!
Regarding help with the mechanicals there's some really helpful people on here with excellent knowledge. I shout them quite a bit and someone always comes to my rescue. Southernboy, gookah, Robert t, Mike fishwick to name a few. There's already a discussion about a cruise/meet next spring to go and see the Vulcan at doncaster, not far from you. It'll appear In forthcoming events at some point if it's something you'd like to join in on. :)

Cheers
Dave
Last edited by Davejue1 on Tue 30 Sep, 2014 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Rig sparky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rig sparky »

Hello and hope you have fun on here .the 1.9 is a great little motor and in my humble opinion we'll underrated
They do tend to suffer from a bit of a rough idle see multiple posts on here but apart from that are a great run around
Make sure u are running it on premium unleaded not the cheap supermarket stuff super unleaded makes a huge difference to the tick over on a 1.9 and the car was set up to run on it
Have fun in the new car :o :o
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Hi from a fellow 1.9 (M44) owner.
Some (not all) have a reputation for a slightly lumpy idle, I don't know whether it's the camshafts (higher lift sporty cams can cause a rough idle) or something else. Mine was rough/misfiring (for about 30 seconds after cold start) when I first got the car and I spent months chasing the problem and renovating/renewing bits. The clue was it got worse as the weather got cooler. In the end I discovered it was just the engine oil. A lot (but again not all) M44s, seem sensitive to the viscosity of oil around the valve lifter area and I found that a definite cure was to change/replace with a quality, synthetic 0W-40 oil e.g. Mobil 1. Problem solved! :) Several other M44 owners have reported similar.

I think you are right about BMW dealerships, many of the technicians are now too young to know about the quirkier characteristics of the z3s.
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Very happy with my 1.9, in day to day driving keeps up very well with traffic as long as its not Deano!
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Bowler wrote:Very happy with my 1.9, in day to day driving keeps up very well with traffic
I'd agree with that.

Many automatic owners also report a noticeable improvement by simply changing the auto-box ATF fluid and filter/strainer - tends to get overlooked over the years.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi and Welcome.

If you're after a reliable local garage in Ilkley I use Bankside Garage on East Parade. I started using them about 6 years ago when they were in Leeds and reasonably near to where I worked. They've now moved to Ilkley and I've retired but I'm still using them even though it's 38 miles each way, but it is a nice run over via Harewood and Otley.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Z3Pete

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3Pete »

Thanks to all for your replies and a warm welcome. I'm doing the filter set and oil tomorrow, fingers cross that this helps the idle. I'll look out for the Donny' get together and visit the garage in Ilkley. As an aside; I saw the Vulcan recently while on a family bike ride in Harrogate, had to look it up on google, as it was new to me.

I have seen a few post on auto oil and filter as well as diff, solenoids and cleaning some air thingy (will do more reading). Also curious at to what a vanos is? But will look into all of these further. I've now received the obd reader and so I hope not to find anything else!

M44, I'll remender that one (just for you Rafolian) :D

Thanks all

Peter
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Welcome to the forum! Remember M44??
Z3Pete

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3Pete »

M44, engine number, only the spelling mistake was for your Rafolian...

So, OBD received, P0340 and P0130 - both common (it would seem) and well documented on forum, cause of lumpy idle? I think so (although she has only sputtered once and P0340 should / is more obvious...???)!

I can't help but think...as I take her to bits to fix said sensor faults, I'll find out after the fact of the other stuff I should have done 'while in the region', never mind, I guess it will help me provide advice to others in the future ;-)

GSF seems to be the recommendation (outside of BMW, and I do live in Yorkshire). If there are any recommendations for 'must do's' while at the above - please do share. Many thanks.

P.S. I shall post new stuff under a new heading / topic.

Have a good weekend all - Peter
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I assume these are current and not historic codes stored in the ECU - one can check by deleting them and checking whether they reoccur. P0340 is a specific fault code relating to the camshaft position sensor - as far as I am aware, no other indirect problem would trigger that fault code and so personally, I would be fairly confident that the sensor is faulty.

I have in the past bought GSF cam sensors for another car (not the Z3) and found them to be rubbish. They were manufactured under their in-house brand Vtech and I found two successive ones to be faulty and the car ran poorly - in the end I bought an OE one and all was fine. I do use GSF for other bits and pieces and have found them fine - I would stress that just this sensor was a problem.

I have found error code P0130 (in my M44 Z3) to be one that can be triggered by faults other that the 02 sensor itself. I suspect that the magnitude of some faults is so great, and out of normal range, that the o2 sensor cannot provide corrective feedback and effectively "gives up" and the ECU throws this code. :) Personally, I would replace the cam sensor with a BMW OE one, clear the codes and see what happens.

To change the cam sensor on the M44, you need to remove the top inlet manifold section which is not difficult. There are two bolts back and front that need to be loosened, two sensors to be unclipped at the front and three securing bolts that are lightly torqued (11 ft lbs?). The sensor is bolted to the front of the cam cover. This is a job where you need to tie string to one end so that you can thread the new one back to the ECU connector under the manifold. There is also a plastic frame holding the cable in position at the front of the engine which needs to be gently disconnected and reused with the new cam sensor.

Another job whilst having the manifold section removed, would be to carefully inspect and replace (if necessary) the little "tree" of vacuum pipework going to each injector - these are prone to splitting with age where they bulge over the injector connection and thus cause a vacuum leak. I replaced all mine including the connection pipe to the MAF bellows and the MAF bellows itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz7RdAL4ARE
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Z3Pete wrote:Hi all,

I did search before posting and so I hope not to have missed a similar post...

New to the forum, BMW, Z3's and been driving Diesels for the last 16 years! Brought a 97 1.9 auto on a bit of an impulse. She looks well, body wise, and 60k on the clock. Leather, two tone, classic blue colour and has electric seats / hood. I hope / plan to maintain her myself (mostly) although I have limited experience (I know, but I like a challenge).

I wondered if there are any local West Yorkshire (Ilkley) members / owners or events in which I could benefit from the advice of more experienced owners? I have spent a number of hours reading the forums Z3 specific posts, and these are very insightful, but I don't even know what she 'should' sound like and a convertible certainly lets you hear more than I'm used to (idle sounds a bit 'lumpy' to me and there seems to be a bit of a whirr'ing sound)!

I have been to a local BMW garage but I wasn't convinced they knew much more that I did! This said, I'm not having a 'cheap pop', they mainly deal with nearly new cars, and no matter how beautiful she may still look (to me), she's 17 years old!

All advice / info greatly received, many thanks

Peter

Welcome :D
I bought my car about a year ago and am a complete :dunce: but this forum is brilliant and will help immensely!

I have a similar car to yourself and try to do too much for my skill level really but everyone on here helps and has gotten me through!

I also have a 97 auto so nice to hear of another! :D
Z3Pete

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3Pete »

Hi Z3 Mark and Del,

Sorry for the delay in my repost and thanks for the advice, I have an update that may be of value to new owners (previously covered). I replaced the cam sensor with a part from Euro Car parts which to date, is still working (saving £40 on BMW prices, I didn't go for the cheapest)...

In replacing the sensor I noticed, it would have been spectacular to miss, that the MAF boot was spilt along with all of the other pipes which lead to the injectors (two of which were no longer in one piece). The boot cost £18 from BMW direct, which I though was good value and I had trouble sourcing alternatives? I replaced the tree of air pipes, cleaned the ICV (needs a better job doing) and cleaned the MAF with ECC. Lower end power is definitely improved (it was shocking), but I still think its lacking (a bit, I know she's 17).

I also purchased a Lambda sensor but the fault didn't return after I cleared it, so I'm holding on to it for the time being. I almost dare not to post the following but - fuel economy still sucks, I think (can they run really, really rich)? While I'm at it - the roof leaks :lol:

I still haven't changed the oil and I want to do the diff and auto box oil replacements as advised. I have at least two funny rattles on the back, if I solve them I will post the fix / culprit(s). All told, still loving it, and I am hopeful of her making it to classic territory. :rtm:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

A lot of past BMW owners were petrified to overrule the BMW "filled for lifetime" suggestion for things like gearbox and diffs oils. The Z3s are now getting a bit old and the old oil will be degrading and will contain wear debris making it apply more friction to the internal components. I've seen several past posts where automatic owners have reported a great improvement after changing their ATF fluid and filter e.g. eliminated minor niggles, smoother automatic gear change operation & improved acceleration etc.