new hardtop

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Smartbear

blank

new hardtop

Post by Smartbear »

met Sam (bimbeema) today to pick up his hardtop from his recently sold z3, thoroughly nice chap who showed me how the brackets bolt on & sorted the wiring for the heated rear screen for us :)
his z3 replacement is pretty cool as well 8-)

mrs smartbear is super pleased with her car now :drive
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: new hardtop

Post by bertiejaffa »

Love the hardtop look - only good thing about winter

.....well that and boot season :wink:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

At the risk of upsetting some on here, I actually prefer my Zed with the hardtop on.

But then it is my everyday car

BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Pleasure meeting you too Rob. It's a lovely example of Z3 you have . All the best for the future.

Cheers
Sam
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

TR4man wrote:At the risk of upsetting some on here, I actually prefer my Zed with the hardtop on.
+1
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Brian H wrote:
TR4man wrote:At the risk of upsetting some on here, I actually prefer my Zed with the hardtop on.
+1
+2 Mine will be going back on soon :)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I have to ask, why do you need a hardtop, especially if you have a lined hood?

Often thought about getting one but I prefer the hood down on cold sunny days than in the height of summer.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

I put the hard too on my car a couple of weeks ago and it does change the look of the car but if mine never come with the car then I wouldn't go out and buy one. I don't think you get the use out of them especially if your cat is a weekend toy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I tried using my cat as a weekend toy but got reported to the RSPA!
On a more sensible note, living in Spain thankfully I don't need a hardtop.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

TitanTim wrote:I have to ask, why do you need a hardtop, especially if you have a lined hood?

Often thought about getting one but I prefer the hood down on cold sunny days than in the height of summer.

Tim.
I use my zed all year round and will be fitting the hardtop within the next week or so, as well as fitting my winter alloys. This changes the whole look of the car and it so much warmer and quieter in the cabin through the winter when its horrible and wet outside.

Plus when the suns out I have a hoist in the garage which I can take the hardtop on and off in 5 minutes so I don't miss out on them freezing cold mornings with the roof down, heated seats on and heaters blowing full blast 8-)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

g8jka wrote:
TitanTim wrote:I have to ask, why do you need a hardtop, especially if you have a lined hood?

Tim.
I use my zed all year round and will be fitting the hardtop within the next week or so, as well as fitting my winter alloys. This changes the whole look of the car and it so much warmer and quieter in the cabin through the winter when its horrible and wet outside.

Plus when the suns out I have a hoist in the garage which I can take the hardtop on and off in 5 minutes so I don't miss out on them freezing cold mornings with the roof down, heated seats on and heaters blowing full blast 8-)
This is my first year with a Hardtop, had the Zed since 2008. I agree that the original hood is adequate but like the occasional change of look. I put the hardtop on a couple pf weeks ago, the sun was out yesterday so off with the hardtop and out for a drive. back home and top back on. My homemade sling and electric hoist is great :)
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Tim.
Couple of reasons Tim, it's quieter with the hardtop which is a bonus summer or winter and it also saves the soft top from the ravages of winter (turning green plus loads of tales on here of people splitting the plastic rear screen in freezing conditions trying to lower the roof)
The heated rear screen on the hard top is very civilised as well.
Apart from all that, what have the Romans done for us?
Regards
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Smartbear wrote:

Tim.
Couple of reasons Tim, it's quieter with the hardtop which is a bonus summer or winter and it also saves the soft top from the ravages of winter (turning green plus loads of tales on here of people splitting the plastic rear screen in freezing conditions trying to lower the roof)
The heated rear screen on the hard top is very civilised as well.
Apart from all that, what have the Romans done for us?
Regards
There is another reason as well.

I frequently stay in hotels during the week and having the hardtop on makes the car that bit safer and less vulnerable from the any local miscreants.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I would agree on the security aspect and one reasons I would have a hardtop but then I think if someone is that determined they will be.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how good the hood has been the past 2 winters in all weathers and snow and not once I've thought I wished I had a hard top, the Zeds stayed warm and dry. I would imagine a hard top would make things a little quieter but to put it in perspective I found the Z3 without a hardtop alot quieter than my old E89 with the hardtop which was probably down to the runflats.

I've yet to test the new hood fitted last July so fingers crossed it will be waterproof :)

Tim.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TitanTim wrote:I found the Z3 without a hardtop alot quieter than my old E89 with the hardtop which was probably down to the .... rattle from the engine
Corrected that for you Tim, :D

I will be hardtopping soon as it gives the car a new look and the heated clear window is great.

I can still take off the hardtop by myself in a couple of minutes with my cheapo slings and hoist.

And when spring comes around, it's like having a new car again when it comes off fully.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

^^ more details about the sling system please gookah.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

gookah wrote:
TitanTim wrote:I found the Z3 without a hardtop alot quieter than my old E89 with the hardtop which was probably down to the .... rattle from the engine
Corrected that for you Tim, :D

I will be hardtopping soon as it gives the car a new look and the heated clear window is great.

I can still take off the hardtop by myself in a couple of minutes with my cheapo slings and hoist.

And when spring comes around, it's like having a new car again when it comes off fully.
What happens when the sun comes out, do you have to go home to remove the roof :lol: :?

Tim.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Brian H wrote:^^ more details about the sling system please gookah.

eBay:

hoist is here: hoist

1 of the 3m slings: 3m sling

3 of the 1m slings: 1m slings

some chain:chain

and a few carabiners:carabiner

total, approx £40, Cheaper than BMW version.

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Thanks gookah much appreciated :thumb:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TitanTim wrote:
What happens when the sun comes out, do you have to go home to remove the roof :lol: :?

Tim.
It has a sunroof.... :D