whats not to like

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
madleemark

Z3 roadster 2.8

whats not to like

Post by madleemark »

When looking at z3, i never considered a 4pot, got to have a black 6pot, went and had a look at quite a few, then sort of gave up on the idea, then spotted what i thought a quite a cheap lowish mileage 1.9, mmmm, bought it, 6000miles later, its a brill car, love driving again.
read lots of good things on this forum, very useful tips and pointers into the jobs ive done on my car, its so easy to work on as am sure you all know, ive had and still have bmw motorbikes for a long time and do like the makers way of doing things, i find the z3 has that same appeal. i get very good fuel mileage, great fun down the right roads, and easy going cruising down the motorway, probably not the best m way car, but well capable. i guess you all know this already, but i say what is not to like about a bmw z3.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: whats not to like

Post by Del »

Nice to see a happy fellow 1.9 owner :)
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

Couldn't agree more!
the 6-pot might be a bit better at overtaking / winning those races from the lights ;) but in terms of sheer chuckability and fun down a country road, any z3 is a great way to spend time behind the wheel...

look forward to seeing lots of nice photos

Alasdair
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

akirk wrote:Couldn't agree more!
the 6-pot might be a bit better at overtaking / winning those races from the lights ;) but in terms of sheer chuckability and fun down a country road, any z3 is a great way to spend time behind the wheel...

look forward to seeing lots of nice photos

Alasdair
the 6pot is a bit faster but that isnt what i was drawn by, its the sound combined with the smoooothness that does it for me 8-)
regards
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Me as well. BMW straight sixes over the decades are legendary and I have owned quite a few, starting with an E21 323i !
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

If you want smooth go for a V8 4ltr like my last Range Rover :)
Peter
robdalej

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by robdalej »

Agree with you about the 1.9, this one is the second I have owned , the first was a 16 valve which I found was a little better when overtaking as you didnt have use the gearbox as much , now I have a newer 8 valve engine and find that it very smooth on the road and a pleasure to drive, would have liked a 6 cyl but cannot see how it could be any smoother on the road
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Agree with all above, love my 1.9 better balanced with a great feel when chucking it about, Keep away from motorways at all costs in the Z, enjoy the fun factor on A and B roads plus with the top down more than quick enough.
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I think we all like our Z3's no matter which engine we have. :drive
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Still loving my 1.9 after 6 years :) Swapping over from my M135i which is now in winter storage I find the Zed just as rewarding but in different ways. Agree what others said regarding the M43 engine, for a 4 pot its very smooth and whilst not powerfull it pulls well when dropping a cog or two, all part of the fun. I have to say the engine put the N20 engine in my previous E89 Z4 to shame which was nowhere near as nice sounding, noisy, rattly and wasn't sorry to see the Z4 go. The M135i is a different kettle of fish, the engine is simply superb :)

Spent last weekend crawling under the Zed applying plenty of Dinitrol Wax so ready to tackle whatever winter has to bring :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport