Angel Eyes Power?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Angel Eyes Power?

Post by Fender2004 »

I'm busy installing Southernboy's clear indicators lens covers in the head lights, so while I was on I thought that I would also install some angel eyes. I know that you can power the angel eyes by connecting to the side lights, but you have to have the side light on for the angel eyes to work. If possible I would like the angel eyes to come on with the ignition.

I'm sure I've read on here that you can connect them to the fuse box, (number 21 fuse I think) can anyone give me more information about how you do this? :rtm:
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Angel Eyes Power?

Post by g8jka »

Yes you can, did mine like this recently although I cannot remember which fuse it was but any that use the ignition circuit should do. It was one at the front of the fuse box, you will need to remove the top cover to access the wires and then join your positive wire from the angel eyes into one of the positive wires connected to the ignition circuit. Then the other wire will go to a ground somewhere.

Gookah did mine, maybe he will be along soon if he can remember which number fuse we used.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Did you take both sets of wires to the fuse box or join them together and just take one wire to the fuse box?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

The ones I have go into a receiver box as they are LED so only have one power and one ground and then both sets of lights have wires coming from the receiver.

It can be done either way, you can join both angel eyes together and route one wire or do them separately with two wires.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

g8jka wrote:Yes you can, did mine like this recently although I cannot remember which fuse it was but any that use the ignition circuit should do. It was one at the front of the fuse box, you will need to remove the top cover to access the wires and then join your positive wire from the angel eyes into one of the positive wires connected to the ignition circuit. Then the other wire will go to a ground somewhere.

Gookah did mine, maybe he will be along soon if he can remember which number fuse we used.
Fuse 34 I think
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

g8jka wrote:Yes you can, did mine like this recently although I cannot remember which fuse it was but any that use the ignition circuit should do. It was one at the front of the fuse box, you will need to remove the top cover to access the wires and then join your positive wire from the angel eyes into one of the positive wires connected to the ignition circuit. Then the other wire will go to a ground somewhere.

Having a rethink, one of the easiset to get to is fuse 42, which is a 5Amp.
Remove the lid from the fusebox which is four T10 screws and turn it over to expose all the cables, then connect into the Violet/Green wire which is the circuit 'after' the fuse so is protected.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Thank for all the info but it looks like I'll not be installing them after all as the angel eyes I bought will not fit into the head light, even though they were sold with a photo of a Z3 on the sellers page :head:

I can't ask for my money back as I painted the white wires black so that they wouldn't show up as much within the head light :| so even if I sent them back the company can not sell them to another buyer.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Fender2004 wrote:Thank for all the info but it looks like I'll not be installing them after all as the angel eyes I bought will not fit into the head light, even though they were sold with a photo of a Z3 on the sellers page :head:

I can't ask for my money back as I painted the white wires black so that they wouldn't show up as much within the head light :| so even if I sent them back the company can not sell them to another buyer.
You can still get the money back... They were sold for a z3, so they couldn't sell them to another seller anyway as the advert is wrong - standard invitation to treat law. (Sorry to sound boring but thems the facts that will get them to accept incorrect advertising)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I did contact the seller he said that there were 4 types of headlight? (News to me) and I must have the difficult one.
He said that he normally had to make a 2mm gruve in the headlight to make them fit. So if you had to do that it must mean that the angel eyes were a stand size just put into different boxes.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Fender2004 wrote:I did contact the seller he said that there were 4 types of headlight? (News to me) and I must have the difficult one.
He said that he normally had to make a 2mm gruve in the headlight to make them fit. So if you had to do that it must mean that the angel eyes were a stand size just put into different boxes.
Are you trying to fit them in front or behind the inner lenses? Most if the angel eyes now have to go behind so you need to separate the back part of the headlight as well. Then they are still too large so you have to cut the groove at the bottom of the headlight for them to sit in.
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

For future reference, Fitted to my Halo lights, easy fit and no battery Drain, best still no hard wiring splicing required.

See Here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daytime-Runni ... 566c4ab631
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8