Z3 roadster 3.0i

Was there ever a six speed box for the Z

Post by johnz3 »

Hi. Please subject above
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Was there ever a six speed box for the Z

Post by Brian4 »

Nope it wouldn't something to do with the manifold/exhaust pipe position and the chassis rails.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Ok. Thanks. Having another car with a six speed box I feel that I am often trying to drop it into sixth gear.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

I think the six speed was developed after the Z3 was designed so they never thought about it.

People will call me a philistine but the steptronic box is the way to go ours is always in the right gear and changes quicker than I could with a clutch. :oops: :?:
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Why would you need a six speed box anyway? My 2.8 has enough torque to get away with a three speed one!!!!!!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Rafolian wrote:Why would you need a six speed box anyway?
6 gears (or sometimes more) is a popular feature today - at high speed motorway cruising the car is typically running at around 2000 rpm and achieving high MPG which seems to be a main preoccupation of manufacturers today.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I feel the M could do with a sixth gear. 70mph is around 3,000 rpm. It is possible to fit a six-speed box, but you need to have a propshaft custom-made.

It is something I have considered, but not put any serious thought to.
Pingu
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

pingu wrote:I feel the M could do with a sixth gear.
I agree, it would be an ideal candidate. I don't know much about the gearboxes in the Z4s but I had a drive in a Z4 Alpina once and that had a 6 speed box.
Clivebse

M roadster S50

Post by Clivebse »

When the Z3M was launch bmw said it had a 5 speed box because the tunnel couldn't take a6 speed that was in the e36 m3
This was their official line
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Clivebse wrote:When the Z3M was launch bmw said it had a 5 speed box because the tunnel couldn't take a6 speed that was in the e36 m3
This was their official line
The mods that I have seen online have used the E36 M3 six-speed box. I suspect the real reason is that they didn't want to redesign anything.

Google brings up this...

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... Diff-build

I wouldn't pay $3,500 to do the mod, but would hope to be able to do it for the cost of a salvage gearbox, a new propshaft and £100 for bits and bobs. He reckons that he is getting 27mpg(US), so it is a waste of time and money doing it for economy reasons.
Pingu
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It IS possible to fit a six-speed gearbox to a Z3! The 3 litre Z4 gearbox fits easily, and only costs £250 or so from a breaker. It required that the front section of the prop shaft be shortened by 40 mm, but otherwise is a straight swap. Being designed for the larger Z4 engines it will handle the torque easily.

The higher top gear (about 10%) gives more relaxed and economical high speed cruising, without sacrificing the ability to easily crawl through traffic jams in first gear.

I even know someone who has done it.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

pingu wrote:
I wouldn't pay $3,500 to do the mod, but would hope to be able to do it for the cost of a salvage gearbox, a new propshaft and £100 for bits and bobs. He reckons that he is getting 27mpg(US), so it is a waste of time and money doing it for economy reasons.
One reason the conversion is so expensive in the States is that they have to import the box from Europe. I gather the required 6-speed box was never used in the US. You'll notice it's always referred to as a the 'Euro 6 speed conversion'.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I find that going between my Z3 and our Golf TDI I find that the 6-speed gearbox is very handy - like the Z3 the Golf has buckets of torque, but this is complimented by the six close gear ratios, which provide a gear for every occasion. It is quite natural to change from fourth to sixth gear, or sixth to third, second to fourth etc.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Im surprised more people haven't done a 6-speed conversion. Pal if mine in Carlisle did it a few years ago. Easy job, just needs a driveshaft mod.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I've read a lot about the six speed conversion on the U.S. forums a year or so ago, back then it certainly did not sound as simple as changing the box and shortening the drive shaft. I am somewhat encouraged by both comments from Mike and Mark, Hmmm time for some homework me thinks.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Brian H wrote:I've read a lot about the six speed conversion on the U.S. forums a year or so ago, back then it certainly did not sound as simple as changing the box and shortening the drive shaft. I am somewhat encouraged by both comments from Mike and Mark, Hmmm time for some homework me thinks.
The clutch would need some serious homework.

Also, be aware that the number in the gearbox type is the torque the box can handle (S5D 320Z) is the M gearbox. The 320 means that it can handle 320Nm of torque.
Pingu
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

check out Deanos blog.... he fitted a 6 speed box....

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26548

and a V8 to go with it :wink:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Deano1712 wrote:Im surprised more people haven't done a 6-speed conversion. Pal if mine in Carlisle did it a few years ago. Easy job, just needs a driveshaft mod.
Lol I remember him proudly showing off his 6 speed knob :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster