What subframe bushes to use?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

What subframe bushes to use?

Post by Del »

I am looking to replace the two big subframe bushes in the new year and I am pondering which ones are best?
1) The OE rubber ones which seem to be made by Lemforder.
2) The polyurethane ones made by Powerflex which are widely available but seem a little expensive.
3) I've seen polyurethane ones made by "Ireland Engineering" heavily praised on the forum.

Any help/guidance greatly appreciated :shrug
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Re: What subframe bushes to use?

Post by Deano1712 »

If you are going to the trouble of removing then upgrading to 2 or 3 is a no brainer. I have the IE version fitted. Suggest you go for whichever one is cheapest.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Changed most of mine 3yrs ago for powerflex, mainly cos the front was all over the place , now it great, recently change the rear trailing arm bushes tightning up the back end , they certainly work.
M
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

Ive been asked this question again and again. Ive done 5 Z3 chassis rebuilds this year. The way i see it is: Your car has lasted the last 15-17 years on the standard lemfonder bushe's. If you replace like for like will you own it for the next 15-17 years?

The powerflex bushes are great becuase you dont have to get them pressed in like the lemfonders you can do it by hand. Also will you ever track your zed because these are a massive improvment if you do.

The other brand i used for anti roll bar bushes on my "M" they seem stiffer then powerflex.

I would make the call on your driving style.

Lee
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Joycey wrote:Ive been asked this question again and again. Ive done 5 Z3 chassis rebuilds this year. The way i see it is: Your car has lasted the last 15-17 years on the standard lemfonder bushe's. If you replace like for like will you own it for the next 15-17 years?
Just because they're still fitted after 15-17 years doesn't mean they've 'lasted'. Many Z3s still have the original shock absorbers fitted, but they are well past their effective life, and you certainly couldn't recommend that an owner fits new shocks today and forgets about them until 2030. The same applies to the bushes.
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

That goes without saying you could even half the age i quoted. My point is that they have lasted this long. The shocks are another topic altogether you cant compare the shocks to the bushes in terms of lifespan.

Too add: From what ive seen of the shocks ive changed most of them went along time ago, only being held up becuase of the springs. So i would go with the lifespan of shocks being alot less then the bushes.

Lee