warning light indicator switch won't stay on!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

warning light indicator switch won't stay on!

Post by Ci »

Hi there
Can anybody advise me plse. The warning light indicator switch by the handbreak does work if I press it down, BUT if I let go it just pops up again and the warning flashing stops. i.e. it won't click down and stay on. Advice as to what has broken??
Thank you and a merry christmas to all... (Z tucked up with trickle charger...) :dunce:
Ci
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: warning light indicator switch won't stay on!

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If you mean the hazard switch, then it's broken. Just get a second hand one somewhere.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

PM sent

Merry Christmas everyone
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

Are these hazard warning light swtches difficult to fit? Does the whole centre console need to come out? Electrician or mechanic job. Dah!
Ci :rtm:
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Ci wrote:Are these hazard warning light swtches difficult to fit? Does the whole centre console need to come out? Electrician or mechanic job. Dah!
Ci :rtm:

Nah :D you should be able to push it out from the gear stick hole or handbrake and it will just unplug. Easy peasy
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Ci

As per my PM this is how you do it, dead easy, I'd guess 5 mins start to finish.

Remove gear gaiter, just pulls up - you don't need to remove the gear knob to do this, the car I'm breaking just happened to have it removed already.

Then remove the little foam part, just lifts up

Then push the switch through from underneath

It'll look like this, then simply pull apart, it is a push fit, but quite tight.

Hope that helps

Andy
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

Hi A
Thank you for this. My car is an automatic, how easy is it to get that plate thing off surrounding the gear lever?
Will I have to disconnect battery etc? YOur pics look easy but I bet it is very fiddely...
Ci :nerd:
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Ci wrote:Hi A
Thank you for this. My car is an automatic, how easy is it to get that plate thing off surrounding the gear lever?
Will I have to disconnect battery etc? YOur pics look easy but I bet it is very fiddely...
Ci :nerd:

No need to disconnect battery, I've never stripped an Auto, but if your not sure then you probably do the same thing by removing the ash tray insert and then the ashtray holder out, the screws can be seen in the last photo (gold ones).

Or...... ping off the hand brake gaiter, just be gentle as this is held on by plastic clips, which can be a little brittle.

Good luck
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Mines an auto, ash tray is the easy way in.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic