How long should seat bushes last?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

How long should seat bushes last?

Post by Warrior »

I've read the threads and recommendations for replacement of seat bushes due to movement on braking and acceleration as I have a bit of movement on the drivers side.

Its very slight and I'm just wondering, as zeddies only done 39k if the bushes are heading for a catastrophic breakdown or I should just live with them?
Althulas

M roadster S50

Re: How long should seat bushes last?

Post by Althulas »

The movement will only get worse over time and annoying. Just get a kit from Aceman there a good write up on how to change them very easy job to do.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Mine lasted for 15 years!
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Ours has no movement after 65k miles, unless they had already been changed!
Regards
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

When I closely examined mine (when changing for the new ones) it seemed to be a design fault rather than something linked to mileage. The grease on the "screw runners" appeared to have reacted with the original, soft rubber bushes and turned them into a black slimy mess a bit like a bitumen mastic. It was more apparent on the passenger seat where the bush hadn't been put under compression anyway near as much but had still turned into a soft mess. :(

I've heard of mineral grease doing this to the rubber "slider bolt sleeves" on the brake callipers and so a special silicone grease is recommended. Perhaps the same problem with the seat bushes - perhaps BMW used different grease on some later models?
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

My drivers ones were knackered at 61k, passenger ones still ok!
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I bought my car with 73000 and the passenger seat needed doing, but the driver seat lasted till 84000 miles?

You would think that the drivers seat would need doing first?