Must have a service?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Must have a service?

Post by Warrior »

I've had zeddie for just over 3 years and have done around 4000 miles in her taking the total to 41k.
Apart from a replaced breather hose and new battery she's not wanted for anything but I'm mindful of the fact that she may need servicing at some stage... but when?

She runs very well and there's only one thing that I'm not entirely sure is a fault or normal and that's a momentary drag, a half second vacuum for want of a better expression when changing up - through the automatic gearbox. Anybody who's got the tiptronic box will know what the gear change is like when you go from sport back to normal. Imagine a similar change of sharpness when in normal auto, driving normally, at 20-30 mph.
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Must have a service?

Post by stevov »

Would advise an engine oil and filter every year. A transmission oil and filter change will probably help your shift issue.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I do 1500-2000 a year in mine and change the engine oil and filter annually. This year it's having all the fluids done including diff and gearbox. Bmw say there lifetime oils but for how easy it is and very little cost it's a must for me. A lot of members here say gear oil changes make a big difference to the gear change. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

What's the situation with the spark plugs?

As far as I know, ATF fluid/oil is not as robust as manual transmission oil and if it is likely to be 10 or more years old I would be inclined to change it. A lot of minor auto-box niggles can be cured by a fluid change and crisper acceleration is one improvement I have seen mentioned several times.
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Should be thinking about changing brake fluid as well. Recommended every 2 years by BMW.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Thanks chaps...

Best I get up the cash and carry and get a drum of vegetable oil if they all need doing :wink:
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Warrior wrote:Thanks chaps...

Best I get up the cash and carry and get a drum of vegetable oil if they all need doing :wink:
will you be having a go yourself Martin?
regards
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Probably not.
The wife's uncle has a workshop so I'll probably chuck it at him to do. He can get it up on the ramp while I wait in his office drinking tea.:)