Z3 plastic(?) noises

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Z3 plastic(?) noises

Post by Inferno »

i have for the last 2 years a VERY disturbing noise each time i press AND lift the throttle, that means each time the chassis is moving "back" or "forth" (well i think it's more when the rear end moves up and down). I cannot understand if it's a noise from plastics rubbing each other or metals rubbing each other, i believe it's coming from the area behind the roll hoops, i have checked everything there it's all good, i checked the rear diff, it's ok, i checked the subframe it's ok, i removed as much as i could from the rear plastics as i could and reinstalled them but still no fix.

I have noticed that with the roof down i don't hear it at all, and i noticed that each time someone sits on the driver seat (that's me :P) i hear a similar noise from the left rear suspension, or handbrake drum...

any clues?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 plastic(?) noises

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Could be the top shock mounts - they have a habit of being noisy/squeaky. Try spraying a bit of silicone lubricant into them to see if it quietens them down.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

how can i have access to them? you mean the top of the suspension under the "carpet" behind the roll hoops?
stevie_a

blank

Post by stevie_a »

Ok stop there!

Sounding very familiar, I have the same problem.

I have done this to rectify so far.

1. New rear shocks
2. New rear top mounts
3. New subframe bushes
4. New rear drop links
5. 4 new tyres ( Falken to limit tramlining )
Only thing I can change now is the rear diff mount and I will do this very soon.

I am now convinced it is this, and it is moving everything about.

When you drive down the road and go over uneven ground is the back end jump about (not a lot but just not as tight as it should be ?)
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i don't think so, on the other hand i rarely drive the car, so i have not noticed something like that. it's a "weekend" car, i drive it maybe 1-2 times per week
stevie_a

blank

Post by stevie_a »

Just with all the expenses I have been put through I will hate someone to go through The same without checking this part as you can buy a poly bush for under £40
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i will definitely check it bro, next time i visit the garage!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Inferno wrote:how can i have access to them? you mean the top of the suspension under the "carpet" behind the roll hoops?
Yes. Definitely worth a squirt of lubricant before tearing the car apart!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

stevie_a wrote: Only thing I can change now is the rear diff mount and I will do this very soon.

I am now convinced it is this, and it is moving everything about.
The diff is bolted directly to the subframe, as well as to the visible mount. There shouldn't be any real 'moving about' unless you have some serious problems (broken welds in boot, for example)
Last edited by BladeRunner919 on Thu 12 Feb, 2015 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
Inferno wrote:how can i have access to them? you mean the top of the suspension under the "carpet" behind the roll hoops?
Yes. Definitely worth a squirt of lubricant before tearing the car apart!
I will try WD-40, should do the job i think
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Unfortunately the noise continues, lubricate didn't helped at all...

It's REALLY annoying :head:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Based on my own experience the rear shock absorber top mounts squeak like "chipmunks", over every slight bump, when they are worn and need to be replaced. It is much louder with the rear carpet removed. With the carpet in place and roof folded down into its recess, it is not audible as all of that bulk is insulating the noise. Also in my experience worn drop-links make a more metallic "clinking" noise on hard cornering and more major road bumps - the roof being up or down makes no difference.
Clivebse

M roadster S50

Post by Clivebse »

Try the petrol tank moving about. We had a customer whith what sounds like the same noise. Not a nice job so we re packed the straps around the tank with rubber hose. This was at the customers request.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

The noise is clearly comes from the area behind the hoops, where the soft top folds, so it's more logical that it is the top mount(s). If that's the case someone has to kill me because i have this noise for like 2 years now, i could easily have an accident. i will check it asap garage is closed today
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

So, i checked the rear top mounts, the left seems ok but the right is damaged, i also recorded the noise i hear, tgis was produced when i was pushing the rear of the car down

Left:

Right:

Sound: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcobeyvaq6bkk ... 1.m4a?dl=0
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Recent Youtube video of tired rear Z3 shock absorbers being pulled up and down slowly during a renovation process. Given that you are bouncing yours up-and-down more quickly, the noise sounds broadly similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJv0fqu ... e=youtu.be
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

We found the problem, it's the diff bushing, at first we thought it may was the sub frame, but it's not an ///M, so... We lifted it and saw the destroyed bushing...
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

diff bushing changed yesterday with a new original BMW, garage charged me 80€ for the change plus 40€ for the bushing, he told me that he couldn't change it without taking the diff off the car and put it on the bench, i wasn't present as usually so i cannot be sure, anyway, 95% of the noises are stopped, i still have sometimes the same noise but only when the car goes off from a full stop and not everytime, and not so loud as before, maybe it's the rear topmounts that i didn't changed yet, or the rear plastics of the cabin...
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Because Z3s are quite old cars now, most would benefit from changing all original bushes and suspension parts underneath the car, so I wouldn't view the renewal of the diff. bush as a waste of money even if it didn't 100% cure the problem. It was still good preventative maintenance.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Del wrote:Because Z3s are quite old cars now, most would benefit from changing all original bushes and suspension parts underneath the car, so I wouldn't view the renewal of the diff. bush as a waste of money even if it didn't 100% cure the problem. It was still good preventative maintenance.
i agree, bushings are a big part of how a car feels, especially in so old cars! It's just, i don't know if i paid too much for the change, or it was a typical price
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Your labour charge (E80) looks low by UK standards bearing in mind you used an OE type bush that needed to be pressed back in. When I changed mine we just lowered the exhaust and diff (diff supported on trolley jack) as we were just cutting out the original and replacing with a Powerflex one which can simply be slid in by hand. Powerflex bushes seem to be designed for ease of fit for DIYers
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Del wrote:Your labour charge (E80) looks low by UK standards bearing in mind you used an OE type bush that needed to be pressed back in. When I changed mine we just lowered the exhaust and diff (diff supported on trolley jack) as we were just cutting out the original and replacing with a Powerflex one which can simply be slid in by hand. Powerflex bushes seem to be designed for ease of fit for DIYers
That's exactly what he told me, he had to press the bushing to the diff, i proposed him to install a powerflex instead (without knowing at that point that the powerflex can be installed without taking the diff off the car), but he advised not to install a hard bushing like powerflex in an old car like this so we installed the oem instead
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If the noise is apparent when pulling away it is most likely the rear top mounts. As the rear of the car drops on pull away, those bushes have the pressure released from them somewhat, so any considerable wear will allow them to "rattle" and "creak"... If you're replacing one you need to replace both. Meyle make excellent quality top bushes and at considerably less cost than the OEM from BMW.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Southernboy wrote:If the noise is apparent when pulling away it is most likely the rear top mounts. As the rear of the car drops on pull away, those bushes have the pressure released from them somewhat, so any considerable wear will allow them to "rattle" and "creak"... If you're replacing one you need to replace both. Meyle make excellent quality top bushes and at considerably less cost than the OEM from BMW.
I will replace both of them, and yes i was too thinking about putting Meyle on :)
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I am now experiencing some creaking noises from the rear of my car, at first I thought it was the hardtop but it sounds like the top mounts although I fitted brand new ones last month. Its at low speeds when I'm slowing down or pulling off and all points towards top mounts but seems strange that brand new ones would be noisy?
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Fitted these on my Z3 three years ago - been fine since.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERIES- ... 2a15ec4d64
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

g8jka wrote:I am now experiencing some creaking noises from the rear of my car, at first I thought it was the hardtop but it sounds like the top mounts although I fitted brand new ones last month. Its at low speeds when I'm slowing down or pulling off and all points towards top mounts but seems strange that brand new ones would be noisy?
Yours are Meyle as well

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you have new top mounts that are creaking, a little rubber grease will sort it out - make sure it's rubber grease though, some greases have petrochemicals in them which isn't good to use.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i ordered a pair of Meyle HD from UK for £21.5, really good price i hope that will solve the problem because car now started doing the same noise as before the rear diff bushing replacement