Drivers side front headkight adjuster

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Drivers side front headkight adjuster

Post by johnz3 »

My 2002 3.0i went straight through the MOT with no advisories - great. The guy did say that my drivers side headlight beam was a bit low and he had tried to adjust the beam. Saw him try do this. He said that the adjuster was not working. Is this an easy fix please and it is a common problem. Thanks.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Drivers side front headkight adjuster

Post by Southernboy »

Have a close look at the mechanism...it shouldn't malfunction..afterall it isn't the sort of thing which is frequently moved or used. I wouls hazard it's simply a little "frozen" from lack of use if anything.
I would remove the headlight unit completely from the car, taking care to ensure the adjustable screw-in plastic nuts are carefully marked so you can return them to their current positions when re-fitting the fixing screws. I would give the headlight adjustment fittings a good clean and a drop of lube or spray and gently work it back and forth until it releases. Alternately, you can make use of the afor-mentioned plastic nuts at the top (2 of them) to do the adjustment by simply screwing them into the bodywork a half turn and re-tightening the fixing screws. This will have the effect of lifting the headlight beam slightly. Perhaps before you make the adjustment, you may want to turn the lights on and shine them onto a wall first to mark a "position" and then do the adjustment. If half a turn isn't sufficient, turn them in a full turn and check again against you mark on the wall. Remember a small lift at 10 feet will equate to a substantial lift at 300 feet down the road. Hopefully you will get the actual adjuster freed up and you can do the adjustment there.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Drivers side front headkight adjuster

Post by johnz3 »

Thanks very helpful. Many thanks and will look to have a look over the weekend.