Caliper colour

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
oliverte

M roadster S50

Caliper colour

Post by oliverte »

Hi all,

I'm going to get my alloys refurbished and the company also offer caliper painting.

Currently the calipers are blue to go with the estoril blue of the car, but i'm tempted to go for a different caliper colour - like red! However, i realise that BMW co-ordinated the caliper colour with the body colour, and hence i'm conscious that it won't appear consist.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone done this previously - and if so, how does it look?

Thanks,

Oliver.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Caliper colour

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I don't think BMW did coordinate the colours. If your calipers are blue, that's something a previous owner did.
oliverte

M roadster S50

Post by oliverte »

Sorry, must just add that this is on a Z3M
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i don't think bmw ever painted calipers in any color in any Z3 version, i have repainted all 4 calipers like 4-5 years ago when i installed front brakes from a Z3 2.8. In silver color, to look like new, i don't like painted calipers in any other color, it's like fake multipiston calipers to my eye, they are still like new after all this years, still very clean silver color, i totally recommend it.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

It's a fairly personal thing and you'll get a multitude of views on the forum. I liked silver on the Z3, but my son has taken it over and had gone for red. :D Several owners on here I notice have gone for co-ordinated colours. I would just do what takes your fancy.
njathind

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by njathind »

I must admit I have been tempted to paint mine blue and then put some M-logo high heat vinyl stickers on like BMW now do on the M-sport cars.
Link to a photo below, this is an OEM option of theirs.

http://s1.bimmerfest.com/gallery/2014-b ... pe-055.jpg
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

I was having the same debate with myself last year when overhauling my brakes. I was going to go for the Estoril blue option but bottled out and went for Silver instead.
From this

To this
bazza1966

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bazza1966 »

I had the same dilemma my car being black so do I go for Silver? Red? Yellow or Black? to match car, well went for black not wanting to look like a boy racer and pleased I did so
they just blend in perfectly :)
Bazza (East Dorset)
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

I have to disagree with some comments about being boy-racer'ish...
I don't feel this is boy-racer'ish at all... :D
:P

But get what you're saying about bling bling colours... :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

choose whatever colour you like..... its your car, what ever colour is mentioned someone will not like it.
to be honest I don't like black or silver calipers, I find them boring, but of course... I am a 55 year old boy racer... :D
And after all, It is fully changeable with another coat of paint if you don't like it.

plus if you have to ask, then you may as well go silver, cos you are not independent enough to live with a bold colour..... :D :evil: :wink:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Colour isn't as important as finish....in the restoration pics posted above, the level of finish is great and that alone makes for a professional "maintained" perspective. Personal preference is yellow or red IMO. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

For my self the color of my Z is Montreal Blue. My caliber was red at first and after I have changed for yellow. I have done the job myself. One of my next project is to get my caliber painted again in red. Last year I have found a place near home that does powder coating. I ask them to paint the riser of my compound bow. The job is perfect. They do not have the color of my car and I do not like two different shade of blue so it will be cherry red apple :D