First track day!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

First track day!

Post by Bonzo »

I went to my first track day last Monday (23rd Feb)at Snetterton. I felt a little out of place amongst all the ///M cars, much modified road cars and track day specials, but I knew Brian H said he was going to be there, so when I spotted his yellow Z3 I parked nearby. I walked over and introduced myself. What a nice guy! He said if I needed to stow anything away I could store it in his garage. He directed me to the registration office and filled me in with all the details I needed to take on board. I grabbed a coffee in the diner before the briefing and got chatting to another guy called Norman. He had a heavily modded Nissan GTR!..... Just before we set out for the sighting laps Brian made sure I was ok and said to join the pitlane via his garage if it was empty. Off we went for 2 sighting laps then back in for the next batch....... and then finally out on the circuit. Wow what a blast. I worked up my pace gradually and started learning the corners, keeping out of the way of the faster cars. I have a totally standard road Z3, but still had so much fun learning the limits of the car. I went out 4 times in the morning session and each time I came in the standard brakes smelled hot, then hotter, then hot hot hot :shock: , but they still worked just fine! As I had an MOT test booked 2 days later, I decided to call it a day just before lunch, so as not to kill the brakes completely. Then Brian said would I like a lap or 4 with him in his 3.0 Z, which he had trailered to the circuit. What a revelation, modified sports suspension, sticky Toyo tyres and a bit more oomph. much better and flatter through the corners and more grip!.. I think I would like to mod Zelda a bit for more track day fun, but I don't know...... Would I be able to stop. Can I afford it. Do I want to stay married :? .
I had a superb (half) day, and many thanks to Brian H for his help and making me feel at home. And for showing me what his car could do. Also thanks to Norman who I chatted to again during the day , and to the owner of the red Z3///M I parked next to, whose name I have forgotten. I chatted to him at length and he took a pic of me in my car!

I had a brilliant time driving, and the sun shone as well. who could ask for more. :D

By the way, the brake fluid did cook ! I asked the tech to check the brakes and he said the fluid was like treacle!

Cheers,

Bonzo
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: First track day!

Post by Badman gee »

Hello Allan, nice to see you on here, glad you have enjoyed your track day.

Good to see you on this site.

I left a while ago and went over to . Org.

I realised that I left the best site, the site that I first came on and met all my friends.

What I think about the Org site I cannot compile in text!

Mark

The 'BEAST' 666
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

So Glad you enjoyed your time at Snetterton Bonzo, it really does make you appreciate how far we can push these cars :) I know what you mean about being out of place, it can be daunting amongst all the ///Ms. Your car is a credit to you and will be a little bit better now with new brake fluid :)

Geoff was the guy with the red Z3M IIRC.

Cheers

Brian
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Thanks Mark. Time to let your garage queen off the leash? :lol:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Yes your right Allan!

The 'BEAST' 666
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Badman gee wrote:Hello Allan, nice to see you on here, glad you have enjoyed your track day.

I realised that I left the best site, the site that I first came on and met all my friends.

Mark

Back to the dark side Mark?
I noticed your guest status there

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Nice to hear a genuine first time track experience. I would be interested to hear from experts about what would be a good compromise in terms of keeping the car for the road but with occasional track days. My amateurish guess would be adjustable suspension (I suspect expensive :( ) up-rated brake fluid and uprated brake pads?

Highly modified Nissan GTR - the mind boggles :shock:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Del wrote:Nice to hear a genuine first time track experience. I would be interested to hear from experts about what would be a good compromise in terms of keeping the car for the road but with occasional track days. My amateurish guess would be adjustable suspension (I suspect expensive :( ) up-rated brake fluid and uprated brake pads?

Highly modified Nissan GTR - the mind boggles :shock:
Certainly not an expert Del, but for one or two track days, attend to your brakes as suggested you won't be far off, you do not need adjustable suspension etc. etc. to have a good time, it does though get addictive and that is when the trouble starts ;)
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Great to hear another Z3 on the track.

I never did a proper track day in my coupe, but I have had a saxo VTR and now a clio 172 as track toys and when you are happy to stuff a car into a barrier when you run out of skill tracking is amazing, I never felt that way about my Z3 so I never took her out on track.

I know plenty of people will say you don't have to risk falling off track to go out on track, but from my experience you do.

Your comment on tyres is spot on, they are the 2nd most important thing, brakes (in my opinion) are number 1.

If you visit brands, Silverstone, goodwood or lydden do post in advance and I might see you there.
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

spurs fan in a coupe wrote:Great to hear another Z3 on the track.

I never did a proper track day in my coupe, but I have had a saxo VTR and now a clio 172 as track toys and when you are happy to stuff a car into a barrier when you run out of skill tracking is amazing, I never felt that way about my Z3 so I never took her out on track.

I know plenty of people will say you don't have to risk falling off track to go out on track, but from my experience you do.

Your comment on tyres is spot on, they are the 2nd most important thing, brakes (in my opinion) are number 1.

If you visit brands, Silverstone, goodwood or lydden do post in advance and I might see you there.
I had no qualms about taking Z3lda around Snetterton, plenty of wide open spaces to run off if you get overly ambitious. I did manage to stay on the black stuff though. I was a bit gutted having to quit because of the brakes, I reckon by close of play I might have worked out most of the corners, although Coram I found tough, getting the best line then having to brake for the following sharp left hander on the curve. Other circuits with barriers close to the track? Maybe not, Z3lda is too precious to risk shunting!
Last edited by Bonzo on Sun 01 Mar, 2015 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

gookah wrote:
Badman gee wrote:Hello Allan, nice to see you on here, glad you have enjoyed your track day.

Mark

Back to the dark side Mark?
I noticed your guest status there
Yes back again

The 'BEAST' 666