Servicing costs.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Servicing costs.

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi all, thought I'd take a different angle on servicing the Zed this year. It's going in on Tuesday, instead of the usual drop it off and pay on collection I decided to buy all the service items myself so I could choose the brands I wanted then I'm handing it over to my local indie that looks after all our cars to do the job and stamp the book for me. He's doing:

Oil and filter
Diff oil
Gearbox oil
Coolant
Brake fluid
Plugs
Air filter
Fuel filter
Strip and clean brakes
He's then doing all the usual grease points etc.

Total cost £140 in parts and £80 labour. This is the first time I've tried it this way and I think it's worked out very good value for money. Does this appear to be a better way of doing things??? :shrug

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Servicing costs.

Post by lightning »

£80 labour to do all that?

That's a very good price, he's doing you a favour there.
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

£80.!!!!!! that's cheap.
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

that is cheap!
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Sounds a good way of doing things Dave. So all changed for you in 2 hours work sounds about right, the oil change at main dealers for my 5 series was £35 excluding parts so 15 mins so your timing is about right. Labour for the air filter was £15 and that was a pain of a job.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

My Z3 3.0 is the easiest car l have owned to service.

Under the bonnet looks daunting but the oil filter is right in front of you and the air filter can be changed in under a minute.
Brake fluid change presented no problems and changing the coolant was easy too.

I did the gearbox oil with the car on a pair of drive on ramps, again not difficult. Other jobs were similar, it seems the car was designed for ease of servicing.

The trend for oil filters under a screw-off plastic cover is great. Our Polo and my friend's Fiesta are the same.....no more faffing about with strap wrenches and engine oil everywhere.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

lightning wrote:My Z3 3.0 is the easiest car l have owned to service.

Under the bonnet looks daunting but the oil filter is right in front of you and the air filter can be changed in under a minute.
Brake fluid change presented no problems and changing the coolant was easy too.

I did the gearbox oil with the car on a pair of drive on ramps, again not difficult. Other jobs were similar, it seems the car was designed for ease of servicing.

The trend for oil filters under a screw-off plastic cover is great. Our Polo and my friend's Fiesta are the same.....no more faffing about with strap wrenches and engine oil everywhere.
Interested to know how you changed the coolant if you think it was easy. It's not difficult, but it is messy if done properly.
Pingu
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Brian4 wrote:Sounds a good way of doing things Dave. So all changed for you in 2 hours work sounds about right, the oil change at main dealers for my 5 series was £35 excluding parts so 15 mins so your timing is about right. Labour for the air filter was £15 and that was a pain of a job.
Yeah its worked a treat for me Brian. Really happy with everything he did. Lights reset, book stamped and no old fluids to dispose of. He gave it a thorough check over for me in light of a trip to france in a couple of months time. I only get the car done every two years as it only covers around 3000-4000 miles in that time but will definitely go the same way again next time. :)

Cheers
Dave

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

my local garage does a 1 service and mot for £156 got her booked in on 4th april,then its a vosa check ,so should be ready for my French trip
peter2b
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Another man off to France in his Zed. Living the dream! (Weather dependant of course!) 8-)

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

yep missed Le Mans( in my robin hood 2B) last year so I thought I would give her a bit of sun this year
peter2b
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

we did the south of france a few years ago in the zed was the best two week road trip weve done driving through nice and Monaco with the roof down was ace
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Brilliant! Can't wait to go and seeing those pics makes me want to go all the sooner. :)

beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

think if you click on the pics it takes you to my photobucket theres loads of pics of that trip on there
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

Hi all, thought I'd take a different angle on servicing the Zed this year. It's going in on Tuesday, instead of the usual drop it off and pay on collection I decided to buy all the service items myself so I could choose the brands I wanted then I'm handing it over to my local indie that looks after all our cars to do the job and stamp the book for me. He's doing:

Oil and filter
Diff oil
Gearbox oil
Coolant
Brake fluid
Plugs
Air filter
Fuel filter
Strip and clean brakes
He's then doing all the usual grease points etc.

Total cost £140 in parts and £80 labour. This is the first time I've tried it this way and I think it's worked out very good value for money. Does this appear to be a better way of doing things??? :shrug

Cheers
Dave

Grease points! What grease points? Have I missed something?