NON M GEARSHIFT SURROUND UPDATE

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

NON M GEARSHIFT SURROUND UPDATE

Post by Southernboy »

As some may have read, I have designed a gearshift surround which will look the same as the M car version but obviously shaped to fit the non M console hole where the leather boot comes through. Iwas hoping I would have some ready by now, but with one person telling me it can be done using this material and another saying it can't be chromed etc etc etc...
I finally decided to bite the bullet and the way to go will be to make a proper aluminium mould and go the injection route. An engineering buddy with a decent CNC machine is making the moulds and tells me I can have them next week, so at last I'm happy to say that they should be available as of mid March.

On a completely associated tack, I am currently designing and will build a workbench top plastic injection moulding machine. There are such items available already ex USA at around $3000 and up...but that excludes shipping, duties, VAT etc... and since they weigh in at around 90kg plus, shipping by air isn't an option. Also, from what I've seen, they are very limited and largely "mechanical" in their method of construction and performance. I have taken most of the better ideas from those who have built their own machines and incorporated them into my design, and added a couple of small refinements. Firstly the size of the moulded object will be larger, the machine itself will have greater flexibility to accommodate different size moulds, and I have also incorporated a mould heating system which provides for larger mould use without the injected plastic cooling before the mould is filled completely. The same mould heating system also acts as a controlled cooling device so that the moulded plastic doesn't cool rapidly where it is thinner than where it is thicker - that will commonly cause distortion and even areas where the plastic collapses slightly.
One of the big plusses is that raw material for use in this machine is basically free...any waste plastic can be re-cycled by being cut up into bits and re-used.
The machine will come with electronic temperature controls, so using different plastics is possible, since any pre-set temperature can be accurately maintained. Built in temp sensors monitor the material before it is injected, and also monitors the actual mould temperature, and the cooling process.
I'm aiming at getting the first machine up and operational by end April and currently estimate the cost at around £900 - £1000.
What's the potential of such a machine you may ask... Well, apart from having the facility to make practically any smallish items ( 200mm x 250mm x 50mm) for one's own needs, the opportunity exists for making all manner of goods. Anyone who wants to do a Google or eBay search for " Custom fishing lures" will see that this is a multi million dollar industry, with a market which loves novel ideas as much as classical products. Costume jewelry, badges, tags, etc etc... Imagination is the mother of invention.
So, other than sounding off about it, I would love to hear from other DIY type members on the forum and get their comments and queries.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: NON M GEARSHIFT SURROUND UPDATE

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Will the fishing lures come in ///M and non-///M variants? :D

But seriously, great work.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

yep.... one will have the M colours on them for really fast fish... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

In case anyone wants to buy one already:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Z3-Schaltkul ... 1792936024?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That's pricey!! And he only ships to Germany ?? :shrug
I'm thinking more like £40 - £45 incl shipping.....and I don't like the flat top where the screws fit though...should be a radius all the way across.... Finally, those screws have to go somewhere, and I don't see them being much good for screwing into the console, which isn't a nice prospect if you want to remove it... My system / item will not need to damage the console in any way, it will have a radius all the way across which means it won't look as clumpy... also what puzzles me about his item... if you check on your console, you will see that there is literally 2mm between the hole through which the leather gear boot comes out and the window switches.... explain where those "bolts" will fasten onto ?? Pity he doesn't show one fitted.. :roll:

Here are some pics of the "master" I have made. As you can see the radius is right across the item, the "countersunk" holes for the screw heads are just 5mm across...the screw hole diameter is just 2.2mm... in fact it's profile is exactly as for the M cars...

"Normal is overrated"

Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

That German one better be made of titanium scavenged from the space shuttle or something for 119 euro!!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Your item looks fabulous, will you plan a ///M replacement one if there was enough interest?
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The M version are available (OEM ex BMW) as far as I know. The M version is in fact the only version made by BMW originally. They are not the sort of thing that one would replace too often though, so probably not a huge demand for them on the M cars... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Southernboy wrote:That's pricey!! And he only ships to Germany ?? :shrug
I'm thinking more like £40 - £45 incl shipping.....and I don't like the flat top where the screws fit though...should be a radius all the way across.... Finally, those screws have to go somewhere, and I don't see them being much good for screwing into the console, which isn't a nice prospect if you want to remove it... My system / item will not need to damage the console in any way, it will have a radius all the way across which means it won't look as clumpy... also what puzzles me about his item... if you check on your console, you will see that there is literally 2mm between the hole through which the leather gear boot comes out and the window switches.... explain where those "bolts" will fasten onto ?? Pity he doesn't show one fitted.. :roll:
I think he will ship everywhere, you just have to ask - on German ebay they are putting "shipping to Germany only" by default. As I know they (at german z3 forum) made them as replicas to surrounds which were made in Italy and are no longer available. I have the Italian original in my car fitted. Very heavy and well made item, fits inside.The bolts are not fastened everywhere, they are just decorative, just like M surround.

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........ mine will be made in plastic like the M version.......not heavy ! and not shuttle titanium.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Just make sure your plastic is hard enough as z3m surrounds plastic or it will be scratched easily.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Well they are chrome plated when finished, so should be durable...but even if they were metal they would be able to be damaged / scratched... no such thing as "perfection" exists, some things are just better than others in certain respects :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Southernboy wrote:The M version are available (OEM ex BMW) as far as I know. The M version is in fact the only version made by BMW originally. They are not the sort of thing that one would replace too often though, so probably not a huge demand for them on the M cars... :wink:
I dare to think what BMW will charge for the privilege as well :D
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...yes, I imagine they would be pricey too...but considering the price of the German seller at Eu 119 excl shipping duties and VAT.... I'd say he used BMW as a guide to his asking price... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Well I think your going to blow him out of the market once you release your product Barry.
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... I don't think he is actually in the market...he is a one of seller.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Positive news ! The aluminium moulds are done and ready to start producing - that means casting from various polymer mixes and assessing the best result including the chroming process once the right plastic mix is established... so a little ways to go yet....Hopefully in 2 weeks time there will be the next update... :wink:

"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

looking forward to mine... 1st order booked in please
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It'll have to be 2nd in the line Lee buddy. Hilton my mate in Durban was the biggest help. He supplied me his console section which gave me a huge hand in getting the correct shape and testing a few ideas on fitting. I've had his console for around 4 - 5 months and part of the exchange was he would get the first one out....
But 2nd in line will be sent off literally within hours of the 1st.... :wink:
Last edited by Southernboy on Sat 28 Mar, 2015 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Southernboy wrote:It'll have to be 2nd in the line Lee buddy. Hilton my mate in Durban was the biggest help. He supplied me the his console section which gave me a huge hand in getting the correct shape and testing a few ideas on fitting. I've had his console for around 4 - 5 months and part of the exchange was he would get the first one out....
But 2nd in line will be sent off literally within hours of the 1st.... :wink:
:cheers
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

[quote="Southernboy"]It'll have to be 2nd in the line Lee buddy. Hilton my mate in Durban was the biggest help. He supplied me his console section which gave me a huge hand in getting the correct shape and testing a few ideas on fitting. I've had his console for around 4 - 5 months and part of the exchange was he would get the first one out....
But 2nd in line will be sent off literally within hours of the 1st.... :wink:[/quo
Thanks Barry, looks like you making good progress at the moment with the moulds been completed, looking forward to the end result :D
ImageImage