Flat battery, boot light doesn't switch off

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Flat battery, boot light doesn't switch off

Post by Wavesong »

Morning fellow Z's. Went to start my Z3 this morning having not used it for two weeks and the battery was flat. With the boot lid open and battery on charge, I noticed the boot light was on so I pressed in the two switches on the underside of the boot lid, and the boot light doesn't switch off! I now suspect that the boot light is remaining on with the boot lid closed. Am I missing something here? The interim solution will be to remove the bulb of course but I would like to get to the bottom of this. Any ideas please?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Flat battery, boot light doesn't switch off

Post by Brian H »

The two switches you refer to are just spring loaded assisters that help pop open the boot when you open it, the switch for the boot light is in the latch itself. I have a pic somewhere that I'll try and find.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Why bother? Just take the bulb out and forget it - who needs a boot light anyway?
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Why bother? Just take the bulb out and forget it - who needs a boot light anyway?
me, find it useful in the dark :)
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

Well I did wonder and I closed the latch with the boot lid open and the light stayed on. Perhaps the latch needs to connect with the bottom bit for the light to go out? I can of course just take the bulb out but I would like to get to the bottom of this.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

It's a mistake that many make, those are dampers and not light switches.
The light switch is in the lock mechanism and you need a pen to push it with. Best way to check the light is put your phone on video in the boot and record it when closed

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Best way to check is take a video i.e. use your mobile and see if the light goes out when you close the boot. Have to say I took the bulb out a long time ago as theres no switch on the light which is a pain if you leave the boot open for long periods, i.e. charging the battery when in situ.

I think a switch was a 500 quid optional extra :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

Thanks, thats a good idea and will do that just to make sure.
steve.storey

blank

Post by steve.storey »

Hi i had the same problem , light would not switch off and battery went flat .I cured it by taking the bulb out.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

steve.storey wrote:Hi i had the same problem , light would not switch off and battery went flat .I cured it by taking the bulb out.
Did you find out what the problem actually was? The boot light is rarely to blame for draining the battery, but people often jump to the conclusion that it is because they depress the two plungers and the light stays on. As shown in the linked thread, the switch is in the lock, not in either of the plungers. So if your boot light really is staying on, it is worthwhile looking to see why. If you have a short-circuit in the boot lid wiring loom, then this can cause other problems with the car and alarm.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

Well the boot light is working fine and having charged the battery, went for a drive and everything seems fine. It is actually three weeks since I last used the car but I was surprised to find the battery flat. I will leave it a couple of days and see what's what. I suspect the battery is getting on a bit and maybe the recent frosts have had their way as although the car is garaged, the garage isn't heated. Hopefully, I don't have a fault draining it but I can check that with a multimeter tomorrow.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I would expect a battery to be flat after 3 to 4 weeks if unused, before I used to use a battery conditioner I could leave my MINI Cooper S no more than 3 weeks as it would only just turn the car over.

Tim.
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

Tim, I am sure you are right and I am expecting too much. I have two classic bikes, both of which have gell batteries which don't discharge. I seem to remember reading in an Honest John column in the past, that one should turn off everything including the heater fan as these can still draw even with the ignition switched off. The alarm of course will be drawing continuously and is probably enough on it's own. Nonetheless, I think I will buy a battery conditioner for the winter as fully discharging a battery is bad news anyway. The car hardly goes out in the Winter as I live in the sticks surrounded by muddy and very wet lanes. It breaks my heart to get it filthy after just a modest drive. Not such an issue in the summer.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Wavesong wrote:Tim, I am sure you are right and I am expecting too much. I have two classic bikes, both of which have gell batteries which don't discharge. I seem to remember reading in an Honest John column in the past, that one should turn off everything including the heater fan as these can still draw even with the ignition switched off. The alarm of course will be drawing continuously and is probably enough on it's own. Nonetheless, I think I will buy a battery conditioner for the winter as fully discharging a battery is bad news anyway. The car hardly goes out in the Winter as I live in the sticks surrounded by muddy and very wet lanes. It breaks my heart to get it filthy after just a modest drive. Not such an issue in the summer.
I've just bought a new CTEK battery conditioner as my old one of 8 years is getting a little dodgy when selecting charge modes. Worth its weight in gold as having 2 cars one will be off the road for 5/6 months of the year. The battery on the Zed finally gave up last November at 13 years old which is pretty good going. I doubt it would have lasted anywhere near that long if allowed to discharge on a regular basis and being charged up again.

Tim.
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

From time to time Aldi and Lidl both have their own versions of the cteck chargers, the buttons are all the same with the same functions but at about £15. Bargin. I have a few for various cars and they are fine. The later ones from Aldi give a volt meter on it as well.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.