stubborn rear screen

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

stubborn rear screen

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
About three weeks ago, followings advice and tips found on the forum, I replaced the rear screen. If I was to be over critical, I'd say the top right corner is slightly wavy, though the screen zipped in without force. Since then, whenever putting the (electric) roof down (about once or twice a week), I've had to stop halfway to to ease the kinks out by hand. I understand the plastic is still a bit stiff and needs time to 'train', but my question is this: did I put it in wrong and need to do it again, or do I just need to wait until it 'learns' its shape?
Thanks,

Boosh.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: stubborn rear screen

Post by Dino D »

I get this on my screen after the car has stood for long time with hood up - the screen 'forgets' it's fold and needs some help.

Probably needs more roof down time to make a longer lasting fold in the material..
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Well, let's hope the Big Man Upstairs is readings this...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You need to have the roof up and down on a very warm day. The sun heat will soften the plastic and after a while it will create a "fold" line.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Fitting a rear screen is a matter of trial and error. It's very unlikely that you'll get it spot-on first time. Just a couple of teeth out when you start the zip and you will get the creasing that you describe. It is possible that the plastic might 'learn' to fold correctly, but it will never be perfect.
I know it's a very fiddly job , but I would carefully unzip it, move it a couple of teeth along and re-zip. You'll easily be able to see straight away if you've gone the right way.
Good luck!
A.
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

When I replaced the rear screen it also zipped in with no effort but had slight diagonal lines across it, after a couple more attempts moving it along one tooth at a time all the diagonal lines vanished, it sounds as though your window is not aligned correctly :(
Regards
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I suspected I'd need to do it again, so I've kept the zipper bit, and plenty of spare double-sided tape. It's not a difficult job, just a bit fiddly. Now that I've done it once, I reckon I could do it on my own. Will have to wait for another patch of dry weather, then.
Thanks for your input,

Boosh.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

I have to do this quite a lot. Sometimes the window will fold perfectly but I still feel the need to check as there is no rhyme nor reason that I can see. The window seems to fit perfectly.

In warmer weather I use a special tool (doesn't work well in cold or wet weather) that checks for creases and smooths if needed, opens and shuts the driveway gates and makes a cup of tea for me when I get back home! ;)