Help needed to fit CD changer

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Help needed to fit CD changer

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
I bought one of these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 16&alt=web from a scrappie, from an E39, I think, as well as the wiring loom. All the changers I've fitted in the past took their feed directly from the head unit, but this one seems to have 2 connections: one to HU, and one to power+ground. Rather than splicing into main loom before knowing that it will work, is there anywhere I can connect to for power? The ground was just a nut to chassis, so easy to replicate. I apologise for the dumbness of the question, I just wouldn't like to cut into something I couldn't put back. Or perhaps it's not a set up that will work, in which case your knowledge would save me time and money.
Thanks for your help,

Boosh.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Help needed to fit CD changer

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Why not buy one from a Z3 and just plug it in?
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Well, the changer was dirt cheap, so I figured I'd have a go, but I might have to bite the bullet... Not giving up just yet, though.
eahornel1

M roadster S50

Post by eahornel1 »

There is a perfectly good one on e-bay for 29.99 plug straight in. You have bought one not compatible with your car unfortunatly...
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

If I'm not mistaken, the £29.99 item is the cartridge, not the changer. I've got both, and the changer connects to the head unit. My problem is to power up the changer. I was hoping I could tap into a easy-to-reach cable to try the changer first, before I try to splice into the main head unit loom. Sorry if I was a bit confusing.

Boosh
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

What head unit do you have? If it is the original BMW unit, then AFAIK it needs to be a specific changer to work with it.

There are separate power and data connections already run through to the boot.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

I have just replaced my radio with a digital and therefore have the original BMW head unit and changer. Yours for £50 if you have the wiring. :)
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

mwpe wrote:I have just replaced my radio with a digital and therefore have the original BMW head unit and changer. Yours for £50 if you have the wiring. :)
Generally all models have the same wiring loom so the cables should be hidden behind the trim in the front nearside corner of the boot but best if people check first.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

Well, autochangers are last century's technology really aren't they. Since Z3s have a standard single din head unit that's dead easy to swap out, why not splash out £45 on one of these, which plays mp3s from a front USB. The another £8.75 here and you'd have yourself a 150 disk auto changer.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

saturdaygig wrote:Well, autochangers are last century's technology really aren't they. Since Z3s have a standard single din head unit that's dead easy to swap out, why not splash out £45 on one of these, which plays mp3s from a front USB. The another £8.75 here and you'd have yourself a 150 disk auto changer.
I actually have 2 of the Z3 autochangers in my shed, they are sooooo last year... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Well, call me old-fashioned, but I like using CDs, and would like to retain the OEM look/feel. I didn't actually think of checking the boot for wiring, as I think I'd like the changer in the passenger side of the transmission tunnel, where the netting is. Well, that's if I can get a working changer...
Gookah, mwpe, I'm possibly interested in your changers, and the cable i have might actually be working. Any chance of a pic of the changer and connection(s) needed?
Thanks,

Boosh.
Grant Moss

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Grant Moss »

MWPE. Private email sent

Regards

Grant
HBmw3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HBmw3 »

Robert T wrote:What head unit do you have? If it is the original BMW unit, then AFAIK it needs to be a specific changer to work with it.
This is an important question. The CD-changer you bought (BMW AI, the I stands for I-Bus) will only work with the BMW Business CD headunit (CD43). BUT it wil only work if you mount an extra wire to gate 7 of the cableblock to your head unit (I-bus).

If you have the BMW Business/Reverse RDS (tape, no CD) headunit, it wil only work with the BMW CD-changer A (non I-bus). Plug and play.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I have the Business CD unit, which has a small port for changer at the back (as opposed to tape unit, with a bigger connector?). I ripped the wiring loom off the 'donor' car from the changer up, and I am indeed left with a loose small wire. So, once power and ground spliced into on main loom, will I need to join that loose wire to gate 7 for it to work? Or does the brown cable need to be attached to earth? A pic or drawing would be very helpful, as space to loom is very limited, with little room for error. Thanks for your help,

Boosh.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If you download the etm you should find the necessary wiring diagram:

http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Is this the relevant one, relevant page ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut2aouxtdqgg4 ... 7.png?dl=0
Not quite sure how to interpret it, would prefer worded or photograph guidance.
Assuming previous post was correct about splicing the loose wire into 'gate 7', how do I locate it?
Good job retaining OEM kit is worth the faff...
Thanks for your help,

Boosh.
HBmw3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HBmw3 »

The wiring diagram probably will not help you. BMW has only documented this as a 'Nachrustung'. The only document that you might find is an installation instruction which came with the OEM I-Bus wire, which is NLA and for some reason was not on the European market. The combination of the head unit and this type of CD changer was never delivered as standard.
I will try to collect some pic's for you to make it clear. I must still have them on my disk somewhere.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Boosh wrote: Good job retaining OEM kit is worth the faff...
The faff is because you're not using what was supplied for this car. Just because it's BMW OEM for another vehicle doesn't mean it will fit a Z3.
HBmw3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HBmw3 »

Normally somewhere in the trunk (left or right side) you will find a white connector with a brown or black wire (ground) and a yellow wire (power).
These are the connectors to your CD-Changer AI:

Wires in the small connector are:

Pin 1: Ground
Pin 2: Power
Pin 3: I-bus

You can connect the ground and power wire which are already in the car (cut the white connector) to the pins in the small connector.

The I-bus cable you have to pull together with the CD-changer cable from front to back.
The I-bus cable I used is partnumber: 61129410959. As far as I can remember it already has the right connectors.

In the front you connect the I-bus cable to terminal 7 of the block. Terminal 7 should be empty now.

In the back you connect the I-bus cable to pin 3 of the small connector.

Done!
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

BladeRunner, from what a can gather, the tape-player head unit and the CD head unit (which I have) connect to two different changers. I had a look in the passenger side corner of the boot yesterday, but could not see any pre-installed wires.
HBmw3, thanks for the pics. As mentioned above, I do not seem to have a loom in the boot, but I can try to run the changer off the battery to check that it all works before splicing into the head unit loom. I'm not sure how to make the connection on pin 7 on the block, I'll try to figure something out in the next few days.
Thanks you very much all-the-same, I feel I'm getting somewhere. Will update as and when results are achieved.

Boosh.
HBmw3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HBmw3 »

Try both sides behind the carpet, sometimes it is hard to find.
The wire I mentioned with the partnumber has the right pin to put in terminal 7.
Good luck :thumb:
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks,
I'll have another look tomorrow.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Success!
A pin already on pin 7 in head unit block indicated pre-wiring presence. Another look in the boot revealed one connector (ground, power, I bus) of the two needed to connect changer to head unit. Second connector+cable supplied courtesy of donor vehicle. Problem would routing of second cable to head unit, but as I intend to have changer in passenger footwell, all that is left to is splice into power, ground, and I bus on head unit loom, and anchor changer down. Should be moving onto next job soon.
Thanks to all contributors to this thread, probably would have given up without your help.

Boosh.