Boot wiring loom

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Boot wiring loom

Post by ralft01 »

This is not really a new topic, but a sideways view at and old one!

Like many others on the forum, I was obliged to make some repairs to the wiring loom in the boot.

In the process, I noticed that the routing of the loom dooms it to fail. It exits the body member at the top left of the boot at an angle (by courtesy of the shaped grommet), crosses the body member flange and then enters the boot lid.

When one closes the boot, the loom is trapped and compressed at the point it crosses the flange. This of course provides two methods of cable failure; compression against the flange and a tighter bending moment of the remaining loop.

I changed the routing! I cut the loom below where it exits and bypassed that exit hole completely. I then pulled the cables out of the boot lid and fed them out through the next circular hole, through a suitable grommet. I released the cable down to the floor of the boot and rejoined. Now I have a loom that exits the lid through the smaller hole and drops right down to the floor, very free and virtually no tight looping. OK, in fairness , it looks a bit like an umbilical cord when one opens the boot, but I will work on improving that.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Boot wiring loom

Post by Robert T »

There should be a clip that holds the loom to the side of the hinge. It should not be compressed when the boot lid is closed.

Interested in seeing some pics of what you have done.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Is it similar to this:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=34807

I've done this to my car, pre-emptively!
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

Blade runner, very similar to your mod.
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

In case anyone needs an incentive to do this the previous owner of my car paid £254.49 at a main dealer in 2008 to diagnose and fix this very common problem. The repair is not that neat either.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

BMW did a repair loom as it was a know problem, same with the 3 Series. I ordered the repair loom from BM miniparts and got my dealer to swap it out for 220 quid which took them 2 days as its not an easy job apparently. I'm unsure if there is any stock of the repair looms left now. Should last another 13 years :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport