Rear brake pad replacement

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Rear brake pad replacement

Post by GE45TON »

Hello all

I've some problems with getting a good fit on some replacement rear pads. Last year I ordered a set of Brembo rear pads, when I tried to replace them I found they didn't fit due to the clip on the inner pad being too big, I then dropped into a local supplier and bought a set of Bosch pads but these were just the same.
Not wanting to 'make them' fit I took the car to a local Indy who tried a new set of pads from another manufacturer, just the same! The garage did 'adjust' the clips on the rear of the new pads to make them fit and all was well until last week. The Zed developed an annoying rattle from the rear passenger side, after having the wheel off I found the inner pad was loose (and rattling) in the caliper, so either the clip has failed or isn't doing it's job.
Has anyone else had this problem with rear pad fitting and do you know where I can get the right one's. My car is quite an early M44 so could the calipers be different?

thanks
Keith
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Rear brake pad replacement

Post by bertiejaffa »

If a variety of OEM pads don't fit then it sounds more like either the calliper or the disk isn't correct?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Did the indy over adjust the spring on the pad?

The inner pad (the one that clips into the piston) should be a tight push fit (or it will rattle).
Pingu
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

thanks for the suggestions.

I've not had the car from new but I do have a complete history, nothing in there to suggest any previous replacements or damage.
It may be possible the Indy over adjusted, but when I tried to fit them myself first time they really didn't want to fit into the piston, the clips didn't seem locate into any slots and the pad end of the clip was also too wide to fit into the piston. I have noticed that some sellers list the pads as Z3/E34 and some as Z3/E36, could these be different?
Is it normal to have to adjust the clips prior to fitting?

cheers
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

I replaced the pads last year on my MRoadster and found the springs were uber tight, but this was also the same on my E90 M3 and also E46 CSL. Actually, I had to double check the part numbers on the E90 since they were marked as 7 Series pads for the rear. I confirmed they were the sames pads, so I can understand your confusion with regards to fitting.

I fired on a bit of copper slip and forced them in without adjusting the spring. One end in first, push her up against that side of the spring and then the other end in. Hard to explain, but hope you get the picture.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - the spring clips are a really tight fit. I also lube them with Copa-Slip, then engage the tip of one prong into the piston, using both hands to then engage the opposite prong tip. Then the clip slides in. VW pads with these springs are exactly the same. It sounds as if you are not being masterful enough.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

Thanks Mike

Well I'll give it another try but I know the Indy had to bend the clips in the vice to make it fit, doesn't sound right but I'll try. Unfortunately I didn't keep the old pads but I know the clips were definitely smaller, I expected a snug fit but wouldn't think you should need to 'fettle' with a vice and hammer?

cheers
Mor61e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mor61e »

Just to echo what others have said, they are a very tight fit. I over adjusted mine first time and then decided they were too loose so put the clips back to how they were and forced them in, been fine ever since.

They are OEM pads btw