What about these wheels?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

What about these wheels?

Post by Tufarlian »

My Z3s wheels are split rims (type 42 bolted).

They were refurbed 5 years ago and are beginning to show again now. Split rims seem to be much more expensive to refurb now that they used to be. In fact it can be cheaper to buy new wheels.

I'm thinking about these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201125168406? ... EBIDX%3AIT
The car is Titan silver with chrome gills and door handles.

Any opinions or other suggestions folks?

Thanks

Mark
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Re: What about these wheels?

Post by ///M_aniac »

LMs are really nice, but I do think you have the best looking OEM wheels money can buy for an e36 era car like the Z3.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Agree, but it's looking like at least £130 plus per wheel to refurb, without a fixed price until the wheels are split.

That and the risk with quality of a refurb is making me think. The guy who did them 5 years ago obviously did a reasonable job in the end but he did them twice before I was happy. They are not too bad now (you have to get down and look to see the start of the first bubbling) so I could keep 'em or sell 'em.

Basically I'm dithering and if I knew a really trustworthy refurb place I may stick with the 42s

Mark
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

These might help you to make your mind up :wink:

2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

They certainly are my favourites!
G8jka, is that z3-specific mudflaps that you beauty is sporting? Where can I find some? They're much easier on the eye than the stone guards, I think.
Boosh.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Well thanks for that Mr G8jka.

Last night I had decided to keep searching for a refurb place.

Now I'm back on the idea of new wheels :-)

Your car looks great on them.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Keeping your original wheels is a good idea - at least they are manufactured by a reputable company. The only bad thing about them is the use of clear laquer on the outer edges of the rims, which is always the first area to show corrosion. Unless you have an unhealthy originality fetish you would be well advised to have the entire rim area coated in silver.

Anyway - who are LM S wheels? They probably make the basic castings in some Chinese peasant's back yard, using bits of a melted-down Mig-15. Hit a kerb withthem and they will probably fracture and dump all the air.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

LOL

Blunt and direct as ever Mr Fishwick. :)

I have had exactly those thoughts and am collecting quotes for refurbs at the moment.

I do like the look of the LM wheels though......

Mark
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Boosh wrote:They certainly are my favourites!
G8jka, is that z3-specific mudflaps that you beauty is sporting? Where can I find some? They're much easier on the eye than the stone guards, I think.
Boosh.
Boosh, they are genuine BMW OEM mudflaps which I think are NLA so you will be lucky to find a set now unless they are second hand or you are lucky to find someone selling a new set.

Mike Fishwick wrote:Anyway - who are LM S wheels? They probably make the basic castings in some Chinese peasant's back yard, using bits of a melted-down Mig-15. Hit a kerb withthem and they will probably fracture and dump all the air.
They are based on BBS LM (Le Mans) wheels, the S probably stands for style as they are replicas. Mine have been fitted for 4 years now and haven't dumped any air, but then again I don't go around hitting kerbs, despite all the drifting I do around the neighbourhood whilst the deep drum and bass booms out from my subwoofer.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Keeping your original wheels is a good idea - at least they are manufactured by a reputable company.

Anyway - who are LM S wheels? They probably make the basic castings in some Chinese peasant's back yard, using bits of a melted-down Mig-15. Hit a kerb withthem and they will probably fracture and dump all the air.

Yes, remember, we must all keep the quality BMW wheels, like those fitted to new Z4's.
or the BMW springs.
or the BMW exhaust clamps.

Because none of them would split, break or crack. would they?
Mind you at least BMW fit runflats to their wheels so that you can carry on driving after all the air dumps out of their £2k factory fitted wheels when they split,.

What a load of hogwash.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

BMW (or their manufacturer) are reputable you say...

Read this:
http://gotaclassaction.com/bmw-named-in ... oy-wheels/

Especially this bout BMW's 'reputability':
BMW’s failure to disclose the fact that the BMW Alloy Wheels prematurely crack is especially egregious in light of the safety hazard resulting from driving with a cracked wheel, due to the loss of tire pressure that typically ensues. Moreover, the possibility of a loss in tire pressure while driving the Subject Vehicles would be a material fact to a reasonable consumer.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Confession

Post by Mike Fishwick »

All right - I hang my head in shame - I must realise that the important thing when choosing a wheel is not its basic quality, but how cheap it is being sold for, how large a diameter and rim width can be obtained, and how 'trick' the design is! I also admit to the anti-social crime of preferring function to fashion. I plead innocent however to the charge of having an originality fetish, but freely admit that I have fitted an anti-social exhaust system which makes far less noise than standard.

Before volunarily making this statement I was not tortured or otherwise coerced in any way, and was not forced to drive a French car.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Confession

Post by bertiejaffa »

g8jka wrote:They are based on BBS LM (Le Mans) wheels, the S probably stands for style as they are replicas. Mine have been fitted for 4 years now and haven't dumped any air, but then again I don't go around hitting kerbs, despite all the drifting I do around the neighbourhood whilst the deep drum and bass booms out from my subwoofer.
[quote="gookah"}

Yes, remember, we must all keep the quality BMW wheels, like those fitted to new Z4's.
or the BMW springs.
or the BMW exhaust clamps.

Because none of them would split, break or crack. would they?
Mind you at least BMW fit runflats to their wheels so that you can carry on driving after all the air dumps out of their £2k factory fitted wheels when they split,.

What a load of hogwash.[/quote]

Mike Fishwick wrote:All right - I hang my head in shame - I must realise that the important thing when choosing a wheel is not its basic quality, but how cheap it is being sold for, how large a diameter and rim width can be obtained, and how 'trick' the design is! I also admit to the anti-social crime of preferring function to fashion. I plead innocent however to the charge of having an originality fetish, but freely admit that I have fitted an anti-social exhaust system which makes far less noise than standard.

Before volunarily making this statement I was not tortured or otherwise coerced in any way, and was not forced to drive a French car.
ha ha.... now now children :lol:

In fairness, everyone has different driving (no pun intended) reasons and rationales for buying whatever OEM or aftermarket products we decide on. I appreciate those who maintain OEM whilst I busily have a new spoiler put on my M... I understand (though don't really get) those people who put a noisier exhaust on their cars - to me this is why I love my bike but could never have a Harley...

My only advise for wheels would be to get what you like and can afford... I am not sure and I have never looked into it, but I would have thought all wheels should/would have some sort of quality marking on them ?? I personally have never had any issues with my wheels (BBS 78's on the 2.0l and after market god knows what on the M) but I have had to have spacers put on the M wheels to (1) make the fit the arch more / make them more pleasing on the eye (2) make the ET somewhere back towards the standard.. yes I know this just means in reality that I haven't re-aligned the ET I have just extended the drive shafts but in my mind it should "help"..

...However, that said, I have a friend who races E30's and he refuses to have a go in my M because of the non standard offset on the back wheels... As I say, each to their own.

Now play nicely :D :D
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Decision taken.

The type 42s live to fight another day. Booked in for refurb.

Silver centres with powder coat "chrome" rims. Not polished as nobody says they'll last any time in real use.