Replacement rear screen.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ontiken

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Replacement rear screen.

Post by Ontiken »

Hi all,
I want to get a new rear screen.£201 + VAT at BMW garage.I've seen posts on here about cheaper versions,but heard of problems with the zips on these.Also,there was a thread about some saying they were thinner than the original yet not folding too easily.
Any information/experience of replacement screens currently available would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken.
drm

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Replacement rear screen.

Post by drm »

I fitted one about 2 years ago. I got it from a german company on ebay for about £75 plus postage.

It zipped in fine and the quality was good. Folds up and down fine and after 2 years is still very clear.

I think it might be a little thinner than the original one.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I got a german ebay one from Art Design Munster, for my wifes Zed.
It was a pig to get the zip to line up as there was no lead in tab on the new screen, it has been on about 18 months and has developed a cloudy haze that I cant seem to get rid of as if its in the plastic and not a coating.
Also it still does not fold right without assistance.
The black edge trim seems very inflexible and has creased in numerous places where it folds leading to the sealant strip releasing the cloth. also it seems to have scratched easier,
But apart from that it was great... :head:

Maybe I have had a bad experience, but its still my experience, and next time round I will be paying extra for a BMW one.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I fitted one from Art Design Munster well over a year ago (72 quid). Took approx 45 mins to fit and still looks like new despite the fact the hood has been up and down dozens of times thro' living in Spain.
Yes it's definately thinner than the original which means I don't have to get out half way thro' lowering to fold it like the original and I would think living in chilly UK in the winter there would be less chance of it splitting.
I would certainly buy another!!
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Hi Ken

You have a PM.....
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Got one from Art design about 2 years ago. Bit of a pig to fit, you just have to ensure it's goes in straight on the first attempt. Still nice and clear, and not had any problems with it. Quality not as good as BMW but does the job. Put silicone spray on the zip, makes it go round easier.
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Here is perhaps the "definitive" rear screen polishing / clearing answer:-

1. Get your hands on a small Black & Decker orbital sander - the little triangular shaped tool.
2. TorxCraft make 2 types of rotary buffs. One is made of layers of cloth compressed / stapled together - you don't want that one. The other is a solid pad of "felt". That is the one you want. It can be cut to fit the shape of the velcro base of the tool and will stick to the velcro.
3. A decent plastic polish / abrasive.

Being shaped as it is, the tip of the triangle will easily get into the corners, and if you have cut the felt using a sharp blade, the edge of the pad will work right up to the edge surround of the window.
The advantage of this tool is it can comfortably held in one hand whilst working on the inside of the car, and because it's not a rotary tool, there isn't any polish being flung out by centrifugal energy. The felt buff provides a very fine polishing face and being a fairly thick pad, the result is exceptional.

The orbital tool is also heaps easier to handle for general body polishing vs the heavy polishers commonly marketed for the purpose. It will get into more tight spots than the common large tool, and best of all - NO SWIRL MARKS !!
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions