MOT sorted and back on the road !!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

MOT sorted and back on the road !!

Post by mrscalex »

After nearly a year off the road I'm celebrating getting my brother's 1.9 M44 Z3 back on the road today :)

One of the reasons it was taken off the road was an ABS warning light which seemed menacing a year ago but then I found this forum and found all the info I needed.

I armed myself with INPA and diagnosed it. I got a £45 2nd hand pump/controller off Ebay and got away with replacing only the control unit (it seems to be that rather than the pump with most failures). A 10 minute job to fix.

It failed on the exhaust first MOT attempt. But http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=42677 explains how I got that fixed for £105 supply and fit.

I have a long list of fettling to get through. Worst things are codes suggesting failed DISA valve and cam sensor. But it's running okay so I'll be leaving them just for now. Then a few trim type things like stuck windows and a completely fogged rear screen. Outside the lacquer has gone badly on the bonnet so that will need a respray.

I'm very happy with my new interest and want to send a big thank you to everyone who has helped me on the forums.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: MOT sorted and back on the road !!

Post by bertiejaffa »

Glad she is up and running and glad "we" could help. This forum has been priceless to me for anything Z related :cheers
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

fix the disa valve asap the pin may drop out and get sucked into the engine .saying that if its threw a code its probably just gummed up you can buy rebuild kits on ebay for about £50
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

beerbelly wrote:fix the disa valve asap the pin may drop out and get sucked into the engine .saying that if its threw a code its probably just gummed up you can buy rebuild kits on ebay for about £50
It's a 175 DISA Control Circuit Electrical error. So it doesn't sound mechanically failed to me and hence less likely to be at risk of imploding.

I think it's the M54 DISAs (a completely different part) that tend to self destruct. And they are also the only ones that rebuild kits are generally available for. Possibly reflecting supply and demand if the M44 DISAs are more reliable and less likely to implode. I believe the M52 DISA is also not regarded in the 'vulnerable' category as per the M54.

The trouble is the DISA is a £200-£250 part from BMW (recent price increases). The only alternatives being a Vaico aftermarket part at £130 (http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 47#p395947) and second-hand at £70-£130 ish. Both alternatives are expensive enough for what they are and potentially inadvisable without a recommendation or trusted source.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)