Radiator drain plug

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Radiator drain plug

Post by MarkAP68 »

I have sprung a leak at the drain plug on the radiator (1.9 M44) after replacing the thermostat & coolant and want to replace the drain plug but there are so many listed on the internet (ones with crush washers and ones without) and not sure which one to get.

At the moment it is a blue plastic one...can any one advise which one I need as didn't want to drain it off to remove it before getting a new one?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Radiator drain plug

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It is probably just a damaged 'O' ring, but it may be a split in the drain plug boss. My 2.8 uses a blue radiator plug, but a 1.9 uses a different header tank, so that is not a good guide. Why not just drain the radiator - when it is cold the engine will not be drained at the same time, so a normal bucket will be fine. You can look at the drain plug and 'O' ring, and check the boss for splittting. If OK, buy a new ring and put the old coolant back in afterwards.

For the amount you will save, why bother messing around with Ebay? Just go to a dealer and get the correct plug over the counter.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Vince70 »

I found that the price of new parts on eBay are normally twice the price than buying off your local BMW dealer when it comes to trim clips and all those small little plastic and rubber bits and pieces..

My local dealer does a free delivery service (chandlers BMW) or if it's just a small clip etc will just put it in the post for me for the cost of a stamp.

I normally just find the part number using this site http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog and then quote the part number to the spares department who cross reference it for me.. Plus you've got a nice little BMW receipt to put with your bills and you know you've got a better quality genuine part.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I agree some small parts can be cheaper off the dealer than ebay.
I bought a new drain plug for my radiator off the dealer and it was only about 5 or 6 pounds.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I recommend caution when replacing the blue plastic drain plug. I serviced my whole cooling system last year (all O-rings, bleed screw, drain plug, w-pump & tensioner). I bought a new drain plug from my local BMW dealer and unbelievably it leaked because the o-ring fitted to it was slightly thinner than the old one. In the circumstances, I would recommend just getting a new o-ring (costing a few pence) from your local motor accessory shop.
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

Thanks for all the replies, I will drain it off and have a look at the weekend
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I replaced my OEM plastic plug with a stainless steel bolt and fitted a new seal washer at the time.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

Had a look this morning and its not coming from the drain plug.

When the car is cold there is no leak but once its up to temperature it is coming out of the bottom of the expansion tank which is annoying as I didn't have a leak there before I changed the coolant and didn't disturb it as drained it off via the blue drain plug in the radiator. :cry:

Would a new rubber gasket be all that is required? or a new expansion tank?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

'Would a new rubber gasket be all that is required? or a new expansion tank?'

It depends on where the leak is coming from - a leaking seal or a split header tank. We do not have second sight! Sooner or later you have to look closely and use your judgement, as fault diagnosis by internet forum is at best inconclusive, and at worst expensive.

Perhaps your coolant was under-strength, which would mask a small leak - a proper 50% mix is thinner than water, and will show any small leakage point.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I know a lot talk about replacing the expansion tank but when I stripped my (M44) coolant system last year, I thought the OEM expansion tank was extremely tough and thick plastic and so I just released the clamp after which it just pulls away from the radiator (needs to be removed from car). There are two O-rings which MIGHT just be the problem - a large and small one (as well as the small O-rings on the bleed screw and blue drain plug) - you need to look at REALOEM for the parts - just a couple of quid from BMW.
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

I have spent 4 hours today replacing the expansion tank!

I had to remove the radiator and cut up the expansion tank to get it out as it was completely seized in place, new one fitted and ran up to temperature...so far no leaks :)