CD Multi Changer

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
sapper-b

Z4 sDrive20i

CD Multi Changer

Post by sapper-b »

My cd changer has just stopped working ! cant remove cd's from it. checked fuses (inc 1 on back of changer all ok )
Any ideas / solutions ? :head:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: CD Multi Changer

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Probably worth checking that the cables are correctly seated at the back of the head unit. Do you know how to pull the head unit?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... "pulling the head unit" ...... perhaps you want to re-phrase Blades...... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

True! 'Remove'.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

bump, is there any way I can connect the CD player to an after market radio?I got the old CDs out of the CD player even though it wasn't connect to any thing there is a catch on it to release the cd magazine
peter2b
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Jonntt seems to be well clued up on this type of problem.. perhaps PM him or hang on until he or someone else will advise you.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Have a read on the post I made today "iBus and your Z3".... That might give you some idea of the options. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

peter2b wrote:bump, is there any way I can connect the CD player to an after market radio?I got the old CDs out of the CD player even though it wasn't connect to any thing there is a catch on it to release the cd magazine
peter2b
If you're changing the stereo just get one that plays from an ipod or usb, then you can get rid of the changer in the boot. You'd be amazed at how much bigger the boot is without it.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I've had cd changers jamming occasionally. It's usually the tray holding the disc out of the magazine that gets stuck for no obvious reason. I've always managed to get everything back on track (pun unintended) without damage to the disc. You need to disconnect the changer and remove its casing (usually a few screws, some rubber dampers in the corners, and two springs on the side). Then, you need to identify which cog moves the stuck tray, and try to gently work it back in. In my experience, I've usually found a mechanism that lowers or lifts the lens, and one that pulls/pushes the tray in/out. When successful in getting the tray back in, you will then need to find the release spring for the magazine. After putting the shell back on, I suggest a test with a sacrificial cd. I remember seeing a couple of videos on YouTube explaining how to fix this issue.
I'm sorry to be a bit vague, but hope that you get it sorted: quality 'chunes'+roof down=happy times.

Boosh.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

"Normal is overrated"

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

just do what I did, remove head unit and replace with head unit that takes sd cards, I have around 60 albums on just one card (it might be more) then I sold original unit on ebay for £60, result :lol:
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

sapper-b wrote:My cd changer has just stopped working ! cant remove cd's from it. checked fuses (inc 1 on back of changer all ok )
Any ideas / solutions ? :head:
Sapper-b, to release the cd cartridge, slide the door open, then get a credit card & push it in under the cartridge. You will feel it on a spring release, & the cartridge will then eject.
Once it's out, if there's still power to the unit, press the eject button to make the player reset. Put the cartridge back in, it will go through disc checking. After that, try ejecting it again, you should find that it works.
I hope this helps.
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

peter2b wrote:bump, is there any way I can connect the CD player to an after market radio?I got the old CDs out of the CD player even though it wasn't connect to any thing there is a catch on it to release the cd magazine
peter2b
Peter-2b, this will work for you too, as you don't need power to eject the cd cartridge in the way I just explained.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Gone for a bigger boot now i have a spare cd player and frame
peter2b
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Parki »

Just for anyone interested in removing a stuck disc - using the white cog wheels inside the unit - the vertical wheels shift the tray in & out - the bigger horizontal wheel raises the disc - just done it, now i have to re plug the changer & see if it operates normally?
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Hi keith dont seem to be able to send a reply but i dont need it any more pm me with your phone number
peter2b
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Parki »

just to update my saga - I plugged the unit in but the discs would only go 3/4 way across & NO DISK showed. I added a few drops of light machine oil to cog wheels & the pin where the tray is pulled by - left it 1/2 hour & it started playing! Now I have to decide do I keep my present set up or do I go up to date with DAB radio + MP3? I'm concerned about DAB reception in the wilds of Northumbria - I would be grateful for anyones experiences. Thanks to all those who put their knowledge on this - it really did encourage me to get it working.
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

I say get up to date. Auto changers are from the dark ages.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I will take my cd changer to the just jane meet if you still want it keith
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Big up to all of you who also persist with CD changers :) It keeps the car in factory/period trim and is a bit of fun retro. My kids are into all the latest beats on all their devices but love burning compilation CDs for the car too.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just down loading all my cd's onto a Sony Walkman so I can plug it into my dab radio
peter2b
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

I had a Blaupunkt autochanger in my rear storage compartment in the cabin, but since the previous owner fitted a sony headunit,its not working, so i have a 32gb sandisk usb stick and never need to swap cd's plus i got the extra cabin room now for fluffy toys and a picnic blanket.

agree on the retro stuff though so good to keep the changer if i ever sell my z3.........