Re spray Costs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
waynerp

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re spray Costs

Post by waynerp »

Howdo All
Just thought I'd see what everyone else thinks on this.
Since day one of owning my Z, i knew at some stage it would need a re spray as it is completely destroyed from a previous spray job, along with dent repair work that has been done.
As a temporary 'fix' i have used plastidip which is a kind of liquid plastic spray that anyone can do ( I did it myself, so definitely anyone can do it )
I started out with a gun metal grey, which actually looked more like primer, and a few weeks ago did it again with a silver.
Still not happy i started again to ring around local sprayers.

What absolutely astonished me was such a huge variation in price.
The cheapest quote i had was £880 and the dearest was £3500. About 7 or 8 in between with the average being roughly £2500.

The trouble i have with this is. firstly surely there should be some consistency. I am in business and keep an eye on my competitors prices. why dont sprayers? All of them were asked for the same specs with the same paint, admittedly some didnt have a oven facility, but from what i have researched this is more for drying time and the paints used nowdays dont need to rely on the heat process to harden.
Plus i dont know anyone locally who has had a car fully resprayed so it is difficult to know who to use, and if i made the wrong choice it will end up looking like it does now with bubbles all over the panels.

As £2500 is more than the value of the car and i have no intentions of selling it anytime this century, i have decided to vinyl wrap it myself and have already started. Going to cost me about £300 and i love the colour, and i wont have to worry about scratches, plus ive saved a bloody fortune...

waynerp
Web Design & Optimisation http://www.neden.uk

Z3 2.8
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Re spray Costs

Post by bertiejaffa »

Joycey had his wrapped for ages until recently and it looked great, others have had lots of different experiences with resprays, Pingi had his done for around the 1700/1800 mark I think and I have seen that and it looks great. Deano is currently having his done (or looking).

I've recently had a number of panels resprayed dents removed and work done including a quick front refurb on the wheels for 600, not sure what a full respray would have been but for the amount of work done I was happy with the price.

900 sounds cheap, I would ask if they would show you some reference work; if it's great then it could be a bargain. 2k sounds about average I'd imagine, especially if they are going to do all the stripping down and any "reasonable" repairs
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Book yourself a holiday to the Costa Blanca!
Friend of mine bought a Merc CLK cabrio in England and had it brought here. Lovely motor for £2k apart from some stone chips etc. He took it to a bodyshop which I recommended and have used for years and because of the price, opted for a complete respray (in and out in less than a week), absolutely delighted with the first class job throughout, price? 1000 Euros!!
Firefox116

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Re spray Cost

Post by Firefox116 »

I had a quote for Rust repair and respray of the back pax wing. £240. I usedWww.mycarneeds.co.ukLocal garages can bid for the work you need done.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I had a full strip down respray done on mine 18 months ago and paid £2000. Still looks as good as when it was done but it's not to the quality of pingu's. Mine was done by an independent and pingu had his done at the dealers. You get what you pay for.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"