Starting Issues 2.8

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Starting Issues 2.8

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Currently have a problem with non starting.
Car had been exhibiting a problem feeling like it was locking up on starting but did actually start on a 2nd twist of the key.
Today car would not turn over at all just giving a click.
Car is now not even clicking as key is turned and ignition lights do not dim on trying to start. Tried taking the battery off overnight and putting on charge but it was fully charged anyhow. Checked fuses.
Is the starter knackered? Sounds like it.
Any advice appreciated.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Starting Issues 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Frankly, it could be anything! Replacing units such as the starter motor may work, but cannot be guaranteed - in fact, this does not usually solve any problem. For example, the problem may lie in the starter relay, or even the ignition switch.

Buy a cheap multimeter and learn to use it - about half an hour - and then check the voltage at the battery and the starter motor when trying to start.

If the battery voltage is OK, but there is nothing at the starter, make sure that the connections are all tight, and then work backwards towards the battery, checking the voltage at every step. Try to be sure before replacing anything, and write down what you have done and found - memory is quite unreliable.

You will not doubt get lots of advice, but positive maybes on internet forums are no substitute for logical fault-finding.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Just did a big check of the battery. Off load it shows 13V but when put on load it drops to 8V! so it seems it is a screwed battery. I run a fleet of electric boats so am quite used to having a 2V cell or two go down as each boat has 6*2V cells inline. Also the old battery is not taking charge quickly. Ill go buy a new battery this afternoon. It would explain why I just got a click when the problem first showed but nothing now and dash lights etc do not dim.
thanks for your comments Mike
Simon59

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Simon59 »

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the starter motor, but in getting to this conclusion I took Mike's advice and checked with a multimeter that power was getting to it and Robert T kindly eliminated any immobiliser problem. Good luck with your fix. I do think that most starting problems originate from the battery, but not always...!
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

well i put a new battery in but nothing. Looks like starter motor is screwed. I think I can get it out from below as long as trhe screws are not too tight and I have 6 elbows!!! Will check power is at the starter terminals first but need a spare pair of hands to do so.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Can it bump start?

To me It sounds like the starter might be seized - hence the big draw on the battery to try and turn it
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

Unless you have deep pockets changing parts without diagnosis is an expensive way to go. Whilst it does sound like the starter motor it could be several other things. Remove the motor and see if it is seized, will it spin when put across the battery now you have a spare battery to test with :).
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

check your engine earth is good put a jump lead between the neg pole on the battery and the body of the starter motor