Front speakers dont work

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Front speakers dont work

Post by Gordon13 »

Ive had this fault since i bought the car, so today started to look into it.

The front speakers in the foot well make no sound at all. if i put the the fader control all the way to the front only the tweeters in the door work

I took out the speakers and the left front one has a circuit board mounted on it which I guess is a little amp.

The wiring from the head unit only has L/R R/R L/F and R/F output's so it would seem that there is output on the front as the tweeters work so I'm suspecting the amp?

All help appreciated.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Front speakers dont work

Post by Southernboy »

Have you tried connecting the foot well speakers to an alternate feed to determine if the circuit or speakers are faulty ?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

When I replaced mine last year I didn't notice any circuit board, I've just looked in cupboard incase I had the originals that I could have sent you but looks like I chucked them sorry. :(

I replaced mine with 'Edge' ones from Halfords which have improved the sound immensely and I added the exta tweeters they came with into the doors so I have 8 speakers instead of the usual 6 :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My OEM speakers in my 2.8 had the little chips at the speaker terminal too. Made no difference to the functioning of the system when I replaced them with new Sony's.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There are two possibilities here. 1) The headunit is not connected to the remote control wire that turns on the amp or 2) the amp is not working, possibly due to a failed relay.

If the headunit is not original, then the wiring may never have been correct. When I replaced my headunit, I had connect an additional wire labelled remote control, which turns on the remote amp. This is on all the time the the headunit is on, not to be confused with the aerial remote which is only on when the headunit is switched to radio, as it is designed to operate a retractable aerial.

There are a couple of threads on here about replacing the relay and making up a bypass for the amp without butchering the wiring loom.

Bypass: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =amplifier

Relay: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ight=relay

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gordon13 »

Robert T wrote:There are two possibilities here. 1) The headunit is not connected to the remote control wire that turns on the amp or 2) the amp is not working, possibly due to a failed relay.

If the headunit is not original, then the wiring may never have been correct. When I replaced my headunit, I had connect an additional wire labelled remote control, which turns on the remote amp. This is on all the time the the headunit is on, not to be confused with the aerial remote which is only on when the headunit is switched to radio, as it is designed to operate a retractable aerial.

There are a couple of threads on here about replacing the relay and making up a bypass for the amp without butchering the wiring loom.

Bypass: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =amplifier

Relay: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ight=relay

Cheers R.

A million thanks Robert, that is a spot on pointer

I suspected the relay and it would appear to be a common failure - so off to maplins and try and dust up on my soldering skills

Will let you kow the result

Regards Gordon
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gordon13 »

And the result is a fully working sound system :D

A very big thanks to Robert for the info. Maplins do the relay -JM67x - for the princely sum of £1.99 and its a doddle to fit - about half and hour all up.

Now all we need is some sunshine so I can use it !
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

No worries, Gordon. Glad to be of assistance, even if only as a search engine! :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc