Post by k9paul »

is it a diy job to change the water pump on z3 am not bad with a spanner
thx paul
Simon59

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: water pump

Post by Simon59 »

Hi Paul

I changed mine a few months ago (1998 1.9 engine) and it took less than an hour, no problems or special tools required. I had replaced my thermostat (which did give problems) and decided to change the water pump while I was at it. I had read that the ears of the pump which you use to jack it out can break off, but mine came out easily.

Good luck, Simon
k9paul

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by k9paul »

many thx mate
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

I changed my water pump (Z3 3.0i). Not a difficult job really.

Didn't need to remove the radiator but you do need to remove the viscous fan and shield. Can be done with just the large spanner but quicker if you have the special holding tool as well.

Water pump itself is easy enough when the fan and belts are off. 4 bolts.

Search Youtube for videos that show you how.....

Cheers
Mark
k9paul

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by k9paul »

cheers mark
Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hairyscreech »

Having just done mine on an early 2.8 you may have to remove the rad depending on what engine you have, I found I could not quite get the fan off the nut without removing the rad.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

In my experience I'd say whilst you in there change the thermostat housing (plastic on 2.8 and cracks) and thermostat.
Check viscous fan and the actual plastic fan itself. They can break with no warning as they get old and bits fly off damaging things you don't want damaged, happened on mine.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

If it's a 4 pot you should have loads of room, when I did my 6 pot I had to take off the fan shroud ,fan (4 bolts) then the water punp you will then have to take off the fan mounting to put onto your new pump ,took me about an hour
peter2b
Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hairyscreech »

A little worthwhile note here:

The viscous unit for the fans should always be stored upright in the same way it sits on the car, if you leave them flat they can fail. I am not sure of the failure mechanism but it is something that is know on the e30 stuff with the same fan type.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Hairyscreech wrote:A little worthwhile note here:

The viscous unit for the fans should always be stored upright in the same way it sits on the car, if you leave them flat they can fail. I am not sure of the failure mechanism but it is something that is know on the e30 stuff with the same fan type.
I've heard that a lot, but I wonder if there's any actual evidence to support it. Let's face it, how we know that the viscous has been upright from the point of manufacture to the point of fitment? If you buy a new one, does the retailer store them vertically? If a courier delivers it, etc, etc...

I can't help thinking there's a lot of urban myth about this.
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Someone above mentioned that he had issues removing the fan and took out the rad.

Not required to remove rad. Once you loosen the fan off unclip the fan shroud and move them both up and out together. Easy!

Cheers, Cooper
Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hairyscreech »

Cooper01 wrote:Someone above mentioned that he had issues removing the fan and took out the rad.

Not required to remove rad. Once you loosen the fan off unclip the fan shroud and move them both up and out together. Easy!

Cheers, Cooper
When I was doing mine the other day I needed a good 3 more turns on the nut than the space in between the engine and rad would allow, no way I was going to try with the Z3 6 cylinder rad being unique.

It was a good chance to inspect, clean and flush the radiator while I was in there really and removing the Rad is simple, It only took me 1hour 30 even with removing and cleaning the Rad.

As someone above mentioned, if you remove the viscous from the fan then there should be no problem.

The water pump I took out was a genuine BMW one with a silver soldered together stainless steel sheet metal impeller. If there are multiple pump impeller types there may be a variation in the length of the end nut too?