Electrics help PLEASE!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Electrics help PLEASE!

Post by ralft01 »

I have searched through the forum and issues similar to mine have been posted in the early days! Forgive Me for bringing this up again, but I don't know where to start on this.
My radio does not work, but I can play and hear CD's through it.
My alarm is so faint I can hardly hear it.
My central locking doesn't! Locking/unlocking either door also operates the boot lock, but not the other door.

My radio used to work, but only on Radio 1. The antenna base was suspect, so I replaced it. Now the radio just hisses at me. I believe I connected the base correctly. The radio is not original OE. Maybe whoever replaced the radio bypassed the amplifier. Maybe the amplifier was also used for the alarm! Any thoughts about this.

I have already repaired the loom in the boot, so I don't think the locking problem is there.

Would really appreciate advice.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Electrics help PLEASE!

Post by Robert T »

The quiet alarm is normally symptomatic of a dead siren, or a siren operating on its internal backup battery. How did you trigger the alarm? By opening a door with the alarm set or by disconnecting the battery? The former would indicate a dead siren, the latter is the siren running on the backup battery.

The locking problem could be one of a few things. If the boot locks when you lock either door, then the switches on the door locks are working to give a lock signal to the central locking. I would therefore suspect either the solenoids that operate the door locks, or a break in the wiring that gives the lock signal to the doors. What happens when you lock the car from the boot? When the central locking operates can you hear the door trying to lock? When happens when you unlock the car with the remote or from the boot? Does the door that you locked with the key unlock?

The aerial sounds like the amplifier in the base of it is not getting power, but also check the aerial lead is securely connected at both ends.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

I triggered the alarm by disconnecting the battery. If the alarm is operating on its internal battery is this indicative of a fault or is it normal?

Locking the boot with the key does not lock either door, but locking either door with the key also locks the boot! I don't have a remote locking system, so that doesn't figure.

I will re-check the aerial connections and report back.

Thanks Robert for your input.
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

Not sure if any one can help but my locks do the opposite:

1) Using key in boot also locks/unlocks both doors
2) Using key in doors unlocks both doors but doesn't lock/unlock boot
3) Alarm remote unlocks both doors but doesn't lock/unlock boot

Is this correct?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

That just sounds like the siren is running on its internal battery. It may have been louder when new. It is should not be a big problem if the alarm sounds at full volume when running off the main car battery. You can see how loud it is by setting it off at 2am and seeing how many complaints you get. :wink:

If your car is UK spec, then you should have remote locking. How do you set the alarm? With a remote? If it is the BMW housebrick type, then this should also lock and unlock the car (if everything is working!). If the alarm module is not connected to the lock/unlock wires, or there is a break in these wires, then it won't work. Take a look here and see if either of these is what you have: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=10551

@MarkAP68 - The boot should lock/unlock with the central locking, unless you have turned the key to the horizontal position, which deadlocks and disconnects it from the central locking. If it doesn't do this, then is sounds like the boot actuator has given up or has becomes disconnected from the lock (try listening to the boot when you lock the car).

Cheers R.
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

I did not receive such a key when I bought the car. I did not even realise that I should have one. So no, I do not have a remote. From what you say, I am unable to set the alarm! Quelle Fromage! I have a 'main' key with a light, a second plain grey key that only opens the doors, and a strange looking thing that is for emergencies!
I guess that I can buy a remote from BMW?

By the way, it was a poor aerial connection and my radio is now fully operational. Thank you!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

ralft01 wrote:I did not receive such a key when I bought the car. I did not even realise that I should have one. So no, I do not have a remote. From what you say, I am unable to set the alarm! Quelle Fromage! I have a 'main' key with a light, a second plain grey key that only opens the doors, and a strange looking thing that is for emergencies!
I guess that I can buy a remote from BMW?
If you can find a second hand one then they are easy to code to the car. I had a quick look on ebay and can't see any at the moment, but could be worth asking Andy (spurs fan in a coupe) if he has any from cars he's broken.
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

Re. Second hand remote key! Do all Z3 keys have the same cut pattern? So the difference between any Z3 key would be the coding for the car? I didn't realise this! It makes a lot of sense if it is so!
Thank you for that info.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I was referring to the remote fob, not the key:

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If you have the early BMW alarm, then it is relatively easy to get a replacement remote for it, as BladeRunner suggests. However if the alarm module itself has been removed, as suggested in your other post, then that is a rather different prospect.

Cheers R.
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

If I buy a second hand alarm module/remote controller, whatever it is that sits under the glove compartment, will I be able to remotely arm the alarm and remotely open the doors?

If there is no prospect of being able to do that, I will save my money and move on to the next project.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I believe so. have a look at this so you can see what the alarm module looks like, so you can make sure it's missing!

https://zroadster.org/articles/3g-ews-r ... amming.24/
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

Blade runner, you are a star! Those pics you linked showed me what to look for, and I found the module right where the pics showed. I have purchased a used fob from EBay and look forward to programming it. Will post results.
Thank you!
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

Thank you all for your forbearance; I am still grappling with this problem! I have read and tried every post on the subject of teaching a fob to activate the alarm etc. I thought my problem may be caused by faulty actuators at the door locks. I had these replaced, and now my key does centrally lock! But it did not help my fob training programme.
Because the control unit seems to have a mind of its own, arming the alarm at will, I have removed it (the control unit) for the time being.
I don't really know how to proceed. I did have one thought! Why is there a lead from the aerial connected into the control unit? Is that how the signal from the fob is carried? If so, maybe there is a fault there? Or am I clutching at straws?
As an aside, my wife has an old Daewoo Matiz. Everything on it works! Everything is simple. But no fun!