Remote (keyless) entry

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Remote (keyless) entry

Post by ralft01 »

i have seen this topic on old posts in UK and USA forums (fora?), but some of the information does not tally with my findings, and I am hoping that this forum may help me.
My Z is build date August 1998 2.8 Auto. The question of whether or not my car was fitted with remote entry and alarm settings has exercised me considerably! I read in the older forum that if I looked in the engine bay and found a BMW siren/alarm fitted, then I definitely did have remote capability. But I also read that if I lowered my glove compartment, I would find a clearly marked remote unit. I took down my glove compartment, but only found the ABS unit and a couple of multi-link connectors. I did find a BMW alarm unit in the engine bay!
I think where I am now is: I have a siren fitted, but I need a key or a fob to set it (which I don't have).
I do not have a remote unit!
If I am able to source a second hand remote unit, can I fit it and will it work?

Any thoughts please!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Remote (keyless) entry

Post by Robert T »

Have a look for the other bits of the alarm. I am assuming that you have the early alarm, with the separate fobs, as it would be a hassle for someone to replace the keys with integrated buttons for the type you have. Do you have what look like two microphones at the top of the windscreen pillars? If yes, then they are the ultrasonic sensors for the alarm. Do you have an LED in either the front or rear switch tray? If you do, then it looks like the standard BMW alarm. It may be that it was problematic and the alarm unit has simply been removed (I hope not).

The remote receiver is normally in the rear view mirror, but it is not easy to tell that it is in there. You may see a wire coming from the mirror, but this could easily be fitted to all cars even if the mirror itself is devoid of electronics.

Do you know anything of the history of the car? Is it UK spec or is it a Japanese import for example? Have you tried entering the VIN into the VIN decoder site?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

Thanks R.
The plot thickens! After reading the post about how to programme a fob, I had another look and found that I do indeed have the remote/alarm box mounted behind the glove compartment. I bought a used fob from eBay, advertised as definitely working. The light shone when I pressed each button.
I disassembled the various boxes etc and finally took out the control unit. I found that I had to remove the cover of the memory unit to get to the learning button, which I moved along to the learning position. I pressed each button on the fob but nothing happened, but I noticed that the red light on the dashboard was flashing, and no matter what I did, it would not stop. I tried starting the car; as soon as I turned the key, the hazards came on and the alarm sounded. It all reset itself after a while. I opened the bonnet and turned off the alarm, tried to start the engine, this time the hazards came on but no siren. Now I cannot start the car without the hazards coming on for 20-30 seconds.
I now have a continuously flashing red light and alarm flashers every time I start the car. I assume I have a permanent alarm armed situation and I don't know what to do. HELP!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There is a long and tedious procedure for disarming the alarm without the remote.

I think this is the right one for your alarm:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =10&t=4959

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

Thanks R
Followed the instructions on the link. They did not work as described, but led me to tinkering with the connector pins which did finally disarm the alarm. Having done that, I tried again to programme the fob, but when I moved the programme switch to the right, as described, the alarm re-armed. So I started again, and it happened again. After a few iterations, I gave up. I suspect that part of the problem may be that the central locking system does not work. I think I will try to fix that first then maybe try again. At least I can drive again without flashing and hooting, and thank you for that.
By the way, why on earth is the hole with the rubber bung in it in such an awkward place? You need to be a very nimble fingered contortionist with a dental pick to have any chance. I drilled another hole at right angles to the existing one, which gives direct access to the switch without having to take everything apart.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

ralft01 wrote:i have seen this topic on old posts in UK and USA forums (fora?), but some of the information does not tally with my findings, and I am hoping that this forum may help me.
My Z is build date August 1998 2.8 Auto. The question of whether or not my car was fitted with remote entry and alarm settings has exercised me considerably! I read in the older forum that if I looked in the engine bay and found a BMW siren/alarm fitted, then I definitely did have remote capability. But I also read that if I lowered my glove compartment, I would find a clearly marked remote unit. I took down my glove compartment, but only found the ABS unit and a couple of multi-link connectors. I did find a BMW alarm unit in the engine bay!
I think where I am now is: I have a siren fitted, but I need a key or a fob to set it (which I don't have).
I do not have a remote unit!
If I am able to source a second hand remote unit, can I fit it and will it work?

Any thoughts please!
For those of us aspiring to be cunning linguists:

The current entry from the Oxford Dictionary says: The plural of forum is usually spelled forums; the plural fora (as in the original Latin) is chiefly used when talking about a public square in an ancient Roman city.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image