Spare wheel

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Pinky white

Z3 roadster 2.8

Spare wheel

Post by Pinky white »

Hi,

I removed the spare wheel, as suggested, it was rusty and hasn't been removed since the car was new,
My question is, what is the point of putting it back,

If you had a puncture, and you replaced with the spare, what are you supposed to do with the one that you have removed
Especially if your boot is full of stuff

You could use the space for a tool kit and spare parts

What do you think,

Pink
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Spare wheel

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Consider using one of the tyre sealant products that are added to the tyre when it is in good condition. This should cover minor punctures.

If you want a new spare, look for one from a later 3 series. They live in the boot and do not suffer with rust. The tyre will be "old" and you will have to assess if it is suitable for use or needs replacing. As for the wheel with a puncture, the choice is to leave it where it can be recovered from or dump the passenger!
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

i dumped mine a couple of years ago, still got the metal frame attached though :lol: most bmw don't come with a spare anymore, just a cig plug in pump and a bottle of sealer, this is what i have in the boot. only removed mine as i was pocking around under my car then couldn't be bothered to put it back. might get around to removing the frame when i change my exhaust, the thought that you cant stow the removed (punctured) wheel anywhere other than either the boot or passenger seat hadn't occurred to me :dunce: suppose i could replace the plastic case and stow something else in there (again hadn't though of that either) suppose with some thought a seal-able case could be swapped for the wheel case too. :)
Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hairyscreech »

With optional staggered wheels you can't even get them in the boot. :head:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't even get a FRONT wheel in the boot. BMW supplied a plastic bag in which to place the removed wheel so that you put it inside the car without getting the seat dirty. If ever you have to do this, make sure that you full deflate the tyre before placing it in the cabin. One poor lady was killed when the tyre she had on her lap exploded after it had been removed due to becoming deformed.

R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Robert T wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't even get a FRONT wheel in the boot. BMW supplied a plastic bag in which to place the removed wheel so that you put it inside the car without getting the seat dirty. If ever you have to do this, make sure that you full deflate the tyre before placing it in the cabin. One poor lady was killed when the tyre she had on her lap exploded after it had been removed due to becoming deformed.

R.
I would put mine in the boot as much as it will go, and drive with the boot half open.
BMW should have sacked the designers, as a few more mm would have not hurt.
What a ridiculous oversight.. and providing a bag so you don't get the seat dirty assumes you don't ever have a passenger.. or you maybe your wife/child/grandmother would like the 25kg wheel on their lap.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Oh so THAT'S what the plastic bag in the tool kit is for!
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I use ulta seal in all tyres + a spare under the boot + a RAC card
Petet2b
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

peter2b wrote:I use ulta seal in all tyres + a spare under the boot + a RAC card
Petet2b
Same here.
I recently hit a rock in the road and holed a tyre though not in the Z.
The only thing that got me home was the spare.
It was very late in the day, out in the sticks, no mobile phone reception and ultra seal (or puncture safe as it's now called) doesn't work on such a big hole.
I will never have a car without a spare wheel and In my view the best thing to keep in the spare wheel space is a spare wheel.
Just keep some thin rope or bungee cord to hold the boot lid down on the removed wheel. Though not ideal, it will fit in like that to get you home.
Dave.
Last edited by DC on Thu 24 Sep, 2015 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hairyscreech »

Robert T wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't even get a FRONT wheel in the boot. BMW supplied a plastic bag in which to place the removed wheel so that you put it inside the car without getting the seat dirty. If ever you have to do this, make sure that you full deflate the tyre before placing it in the cabin. One poor lady was killed when the tyre she had on her lap exploded after it had been removed due to becoming deformed.

R.
:lol: I haven't tried with a front but one look at the rears confirms it for the rears!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think the Z3 needs a "roof rack" type system... it would need to be simple 2 bars which fix to the roll hoops at the back, and to the windscreen top cross beam...one would need to have the soft top lowered. That way the spare can be fixed to the 2 bars above ones head and taken back for repair etc...
Alternately, with roof up ( so one doesn't need to get too wet if it's raining) 2 bars which can be fitted to the soft top frame front and back end of the main window and reaching across to the opposite window. Would need to be bowed to clear the roof etc, and have one or two cross members to form an "H" configuration...again the wheel can be loaded on top and transported.
The wheel can be held to the "rack" by one or two bolts fitted through the center wheel rim holes. Obviously the "kit" will need to be able to be dismantled into basic components to fit into the Z3 boot.

This type of bar system with the clamping bits modified to go inside the car window at top and around to clamp onto the roof metal frame above the main window...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

DC wrote:
peter2b wrote:I use ulta seal in all tyres + a spare under the boot + a RAC card
Petet2b
Same here.
I recently hit a rock in the road and holed a tyre though not in the Z.
The only thing that got me home was the spare.
It was very late in the day, out in the sticks, no mobile phone reception and ultra seal (or puncture safe as it's now called) doesn't work on such a big hole.
I will never have a car without a spare wheel and In my view the best thing to keep in the spare wheel space is a spare wheel.
Just keep some thin rope or bungee cord to hold the boot lid down on the removed wheel. Though not ideal, it will fit in like that to get you home.
Dave.
That's why I carry a spare under the boot belt and braces
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

boot and some string.. what's the big fuss.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

gookah wrote:boot and some string.. what's the big fuss.
+1. I never understand why people get so het up that they refuse to even carry the spare. It's not as though it frees up any usable space, and I simply can't believe that there isn't any circumstance under which you wouldn't use the spare. If it was 3 in the morning in the middle of nowhere, I'd happily fit the spare even if I had to hide the flat tyre somewhere and come back for it. I'm also not certain that the roadside services will transport a car that is supposed to have a spare but doesn't - at least, without charging you.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
gookah wrote:boot and some string.. what's the big fuss.
+1. I never understand why people get so het up that they refuse to even carry the spare. It's not as though it frees up any usable space, and I simply can't believe that there isn't any circumstance under which you wouldn't use the spare. If it was 3 in the morning in the middle of nowhere, I'd happily fit the spare even if I had to hide the flat tyre somewhere and come back for it. I'm also not certain that the roadside services will transport a car that is supposed to have a spare but doesn't - at least, without charging you.

I know mine won't, they state that if it left the factory with a spare it should still have it to fit and they would charge accordingly despite having the roadside cover :bawl:
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

My 2.8 has staggered 17 inch wheels and I have never tried fitting it in the boot.
When members are stating about the punctured wheel not fitting in the boot, are they referring to it not going completely in a and closing the bootlid, or it not even going in partially?
If it goes in partially, then if was me I would tie the bootlid on top of it rather than put it on the passenger seat, or "hide" it!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Off thread I know, but I see from your profile that you Have An M50 manifold and bigger throttle body. What was the cost of these mods and how easy to do? Where did you get them from? Also how much of an improvement on performance?
Cheers,
Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Hi Bonzo, they were fitted to the car when I bought it over 3 years ago and have never driven a standard 2.8 to compare.
All I know is that there is still loads of low rpm torque and at higher revs it spins up really quickly!
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Rafolian wrote:My 2.8 has staggered 17 inch wheels and I have never tried fitting it in the boot.
When members are stating about the punctured wheel not fitting in the boot, are they referring to it not going completely in a and closing the bootlid, or it not even going in partially?
If it goes in partially, then if was me I would tie the bootlid on top of it rather than put it on the passenger seat, or "hide" it!
Iv'e put one of these in the boot to hold the lid down & secure the wheel in boot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-15-FT-1-R ... 2338989b2c

Bob
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

if you have roadside recovery that wont recover if you have ditched the spare, what if you were to let the other tyre down on the other side too, then it would appear you have two punctures and as such the spare is useless anyhow, would this not make a difference? :lol: