Do I have a secondary air pump/system?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Do I have a secondary air pump/system?

Post by sirius-c »

I have a 1997 2.8 Auto, all the books and tech info state I have a secondary air system including ETK,
well i find it odd that I can't find the pump which should be in the same compartment as the ECU on the left side......

Am I having a senior moment and can't see the wood for the trees?

Also i noticed that the box in the lower left corner of this compartment is empty apart from two wires (blue and grey) that terminate in it but are not connected to anything,
anyone know what it/they might be for? they appear to go through the bulkhead to behind the dash on the passenger side (RHD)

Designed or not designed, that is the question.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Do I have a secondary air pump/system?

Post by alec.m »

I have just replaced mine on a 99 2.8. Mine`s in front of the drivers side suspension turret (radiator side). You can`t miss it, it`s quite big. Looks like you have something else where mine is. I don`t think all 2.8 engines have them. Possibly just the TU ones.
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

alec.m wrote:I have just replaced mine on a 99 2.8. Mine`s in front of the drivers side suspension turret (radiator side). You can`t miss it, it`s quite big. Looks like you have something else where mine is. I don`t think all 2.8 engines have them. Possibly just the TU ones.
thanks for your reply,

I've looked around the exhaust manifold for the piping etc and i can't find anything therefore I can only conclude that mine doesn't have this system even though all documentation relating to my model appears to be contrary.
confusing but satisfactory for me as its one less thing to consider whilst trying to diagnose some high negative fuel trims

could you possibly post a pic of yours?
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

I`ll take a pic today. I don`t think it would affect fuel trims anyway. It only runs for a minute or so at startup and was introduced to reduce emissions from a cold engine in the American market.
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

alec.m wrote:I`ll take a pic today. I don`t think it would affect fuel trims anyway.
I suspect you're right
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Hope this comes up, ages since I posted a pic
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Holy cow! I definitely don't have one of those.

thanks for pic
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

You're welcome. You can't miss it if you have one! :D
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I'm curious sirius-c, you seem to have quite a few extra power connections going on under that bonnet, care to share?
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Brian H wrote:I'm curious sirius-c, you seem to have quite a few extra power connections going on under that bonnet, care to share?
are you referring to the little fuse box at the back right side?
its a 4 gang blade fuse block thingy-mi-bob :D , I'm using 3 of them...1 for a Inphase USW10 compact sub in the passenger footwell, 1 for a volt meter & 1 for an extra usb charging socket,
I created a little plywood panel wrapped in 3m dinoc to house the digital volt meter and its associated push switch and also to house the extra double usb charging socket.....this then push fits into the hole at the rear of the centre console where most Z's have a switch panel or a little storage box

excuse the dirty interior :oops:

I also have two of these fitted which heat up the screen wash before hitting the windscreen...warm water cleans the bugs off better...i also have one fitted to my daily driver which clears the screen great in winter.
thats what the big 60amp fuses in the black holders are for, one is tucked behind the drivers side strut and one is in the lower left corner of the ecu/brake fluid compartment, both units are tek screwed to the right hand side of the ECU/Brake fluid reservoir enclosure

One is just visible here

as for the blue and grey wires going into the empty box in the left ecu compartment...I have no idea?? anyone know what this plastic box is suppose to house?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »