Pressure Sensor Error Code 5E20

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lancsbob

blank

Pressure Sensor Error Code 5E20

Post by Lancsbob »

Just got a C110 code reader after 2 warning lights came on & found a few codes one of which is 5E20 Pressure Sensor.
I think this is the electronic controlled pump for stability/anti lock brakes.I have read that
you can just change the electronic part of the pump & not remove the whole pump does anyone
have knowledge about this.
Also have both front wheel sensor codes,system voltage code & tranverse sensor code, all
this after my first proper run out in the car, not impressed :bad
Could all these have been hidden by the seller for a couple of months just to get rid
or am i just unlucky? :(
Where do i start?

Cheers Bob
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Pressure Sensor Error Code 5E20

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I assume you cleared all codes then these re-occurred, and you're not looking at codes that could be ancient, one-off events?
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I assume you cleared all codes then these re-occurred, and you're not looking at codes that could be ancient, one-off events?
I think so, i used the same code reader & selected clear codes after reading them then rechecked them & they were still there.
Am thinking i'll check the easiest/cheapest first & see what happens.
Not looking foreward to tackling the pump. :fade

Bob
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you have to replace it, it may well be more cost effective to simply replace the entire unit. Perhaps start with Andy aka Spurs fan in a coupe to find out if he can help with a replacement unit. You might well need to have it re-coded to your car - I'm not sure about that part of the fitting scenario.
The wheel brake sensors are cheap enough, and again, you may want to ask Andy if he has a couple spare 2nd hand ones for you.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Southernboy wrote:If you have to replace it, it may well be more cost effective to simply replace the entire unit. Perhaps start with Andy aka Spurs fan in a coupe to find out if he can help with a replacement unit. You might well need to have it re-coded to your car - I'm not sure about that part of the fitting scenario.
The wheel brake sensors are cheap enough, and again, you may want to ask Andy if he has a couple spare 2nd hand ones for you.... :wink:
Thanks for that, am going to get it in my garage & give it a look over starting with
the wheel sensors then looking under the passenger seat at the sensors there as
it was the first time i has a passenger in it for a long run, hoping it might be
something simple. Curious that one minute no lights then 5 codes appear at once.
Is Andy on here?

Cheers Bob
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep... his forum name is:- "Spurs fan in a coupe"..... He regularly strips Z3's for spares, and is always ready to help if he can.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

The only time I used my code reader (for the ever-so-popular airbag light), I remember needing a few attempts at resetting the faults with the machine before it did. Are you sure the faults were properly reset and then reoccurred? Wouldn't it be a waste of time and money to go through all that hassle and find out the actual reader hadn't cleared the faults in the first place?
Boosh.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I agree - have you had a look to see if anyone local to you has the INPA setup?
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Boosh wrote:The only time I used my code reader (for the ever-so-popular airbag light), I remember needing a few attempts at resetting the faults with the machine before it did. Are you sure the faults were properly reset and then reoccurred? Wouldn't it be a waste of time and money to go through all that hassle and find out the actual reader hadn't cleared the faults in the first place?
Boosh.
Thanks for the info, good to know it doesn't work first time.
Will check again tomorrow as iv'e had a run out today.
Will look at front wheel sensors first, is there a disc that might need cleaning that passes the sensor?
Car runs great & MOT not due till May so no hurry.

Cheers Bob
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I agree - have you had a look to see if anyone local to you has the INPA setup?
Looks like Robert T in Altrincham has one, will have a look for simple stuff first before
i impose on anyone.

Is INPA the best set up for getting code information?

Cheers Bob
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Is this to do with the fault you have/had with DSC/brake warning light?

The DSC sytem is additional to the ABS system and has 2 pressure sensors on the master cylinder, 4 wheel speed sensors, steering angle sensor, DSC control unit, and 2 sensors under the passenger footwell. The yaw sensor is known to fail and are rare to find,

Check if you have water under the carpet'

INPA software is BMW specific and gives a lot more info than code readers so best bet send a PM to Robert T. I'm too far away to help but we do come up occaisionally to Wigan to see the inlaws
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Brian4 wrote:Is this to do with the fault you have/had with DSC/brake warning light?

The DSC sytem is additional to the ABS system and has 2 pressure sensors on the master cylinder, 4 wheel speed sensors, steering angle sensor, DSC control unit, and 2 sensors under the passenger footwell. The yaw sensor is known to fail and are rare to find,

Check if you have water under the carpet'

INPA software is BMW specific and gives a lot more info than code readers so best bet send a PM to Robert T. I'm too far away to help but we do come up occaisionally to Wigan to see the inlaws
Yes it is that fault i have. One of the fault codes is the Transverse Accelerator Sensor which i believe is under the seat.
Am wondering if there can be a knock on affect as if one fault code can cause another to show up as i find it hard
to accept that 5 codes can suddenly appear.The car was OK untill the 2 lights came on. Will try clearing the codes again & see if any clear.
Is the Yaw Sensor in the steering column. You say hard to find is that used or new?

Thanks for info.

Bob
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Yaw sensor under the seat. It is the one mounted on the floor also called transverse acceleration sensor.

If you disconnect the battery overnight it does clear the fault until you drive for a few miles. Did you feel the brakes momentarily apply just before the light came on?
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Brian4 wrote:Yaw sensor under the seat. It is the one mounted on the floor also called transverse acceleration sensor.

If you disconnect the battery overnight it does clear the fault until you drive for a few miles. Did you feel the brakes momentarily apply just before the light came on?
Was driving on twisty country lanes regularly applying brakes so didn't notice anything until lights appeared, might try disconnecting battery & see what happens.

Cheers Bob
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Lancsbob wrote: might try disconnecting battery & see what happens.

Cheers Bob
Hi Lancsbob, how did you get on with this in end? I am having a few pressure sensor errors pop up on a C110 so I'd be interested to know if you ever got to the bottom of yours. Cheers